Integrating a rooster into a flock...

PioneerChicks

Naturalist
Sep 4, 2019
Idaho -- currently roadschooling
My Coop
My Coop
I've never tried this before, but I need to add my newest rooster to the flock. I got rid of my other roosters recently, so I could add him. I'll need him for my breeding project next spring.

His name is Pewee and he is a silkie cockerel who has never really been around hens before. He was raised as a house chicken with three others, all of whom were boys. But I have seen him tidbitting to the hens from behind the wire. I have trimmed his crest so he can see well.

He has already finished quarantine and has been doing the "see-but-don't-touch" method for 2-3 weeks.

My flock is a mix of bantams and large-fowl, I have several other silkies. Currently, Pewee is the only boy. The hens are used to being around roosters.

I have never integrated a rooster before, or a lone chicken for that matter. Is it the same as with hens? Should I start by introducing him to one or two mellow pullets? Looking for advice...

How did it go? I am doing the same thing, although I just got the Roo yesterday.
and we never never had a rooster before. So I am interested in what your experience was.
I actually haven't been able to do it yet. I was going to do it a couple days ago but a big storm started. I'll probably do it today though. Wishing you luck!

I actually haven't been able to do it yet. I was going to do it a couple days ago but a big storm started. I'll probably do it today though. Wishing you luck!
Same to you! So I had the rooster fenced off from the hens with a 5 ft fence, and the past few days did great! Today I expanded his area and hoped he would stop pacing. Went shopping and came back to the rooster in with the hens. They all looked great! The hens were not bothered at all! The top red hen was avoiding him. So I guess they worked it all out on their own. So now I got them free ranging. So far he has been respectful to me and doesn’t chase the hens.

Same to you! So I had the rooster fenced off from the hens with a 5 ft fence, and the past few days did great! Today I expanded his area and hoped he would stop pacing. Went shopping and came back to the rooster in with the hens. They all looked great! The hens were not bothered at all! The top red hen was avoiding him. So I guess they worked it all out on their own. So now I got them free ranging. So far he has been respectful to me and doesn’t chase the hens.
Glad it went well! Great success story! Now I have a puppy so I am really busy, but if the weather is good I will for sure start integrating.

Back
Top Bottom