Integrating babies?

MikasGirl

Songster
10 Years
Apr 17, 2009
Coos Bay, OR
I have a few questions. We have 6 babies. 3 are 5 and a half weeks old and the other 3 are 4 weeks as of today. They all get along but I was wondering when we should put them in the coop? (They'd be in a seperate pen at first) And the older girls (a year old) are treated for worms so would the babies have to be? And my last question is when do the little ones switch to a different feed than chick start?

Quote:
Your bag of chick starter should say how long the chicks should be eating it. Some say until the chickens begin to lay, at which time you switch to layer feed. My Purina product says to continue using it until the chicks reach 16 weeks.

You can put your chicks in the coop as soon as temperatures are right or you can make them right (heat lamp at night, for example, if it's too cold).

I don't know anything about worming.
smile.png

They make take a bit longer to reach maturity, and they may not get all the nutrient they need for growth. Scratch feed and cracked corn are ok, but not the best feed. There isn't enough vitamins in it for them. If you do switch, make sure to let them have a lot of free range, as well as "treats" and veg.

Back
Top Bottom