Integrating back into flock

kungfu1

Chirping
9 Years
Dec 8, 2012
Hello
We just had momma hatch 2 chicks on the 4th of may. We had separated mom from the flock before the hatching, now that the weather has cooperated, I plan on moving mom and chicks into the big coop but sectioned off to integrate. My question is what do I do with mom? Do I keep her separate w/ the chicks or put her with the flock?

Attachments

• 1F349687-BDD7-4784-80D3-A9206F2F86AC.jpeg
    1F349687-BDD7-4784-80D3-A9206F2F86AC.jpeg
    940.1 KB · Views: 31
I have a hen with a single about the same age. I just recently integrated with the rest of the flock and left Mom and chick together. Shockingly, the chick was able to get around every place the mom chicken could. I have quite a hefty distance from the run into the hen house and the chick was able to make it inside with no problem. The first time I saw the chick standing on the 20" high platform just outside the house I almost had a heart attack and thought "don't jump don't jump" and down it floated like a little leaf with no problem. I am not letting the two free range outside of the run, they get shut inside during the day.

Hello
We just had momma hatch 2 chicks on the 4th of may. We had separated mom from the flock before the hatching, now that the weather has cooperated, I plan on moving mom and chicks into the big coop but sectioned off to integrate. My question is what do I do with mom? Do I keep her separate w/ the chicks or put her with the flock?
Lots of different ways to manage a broody.

One of the advantages of having a broody hatch is you don't have to 'brood' the chicks and she will integrate them into the flock. Separating mama from chicks at this time could cause several issues(she won't be happy and you'll have to heat the chicks).

Was she separate and out of sight of the flock while setting?
How did things go with the ranging?
Where did mama take the babes at roost time?
Knowing more about your coop(s?) would help here.

Back
Top Bottom