integrating chickens together

crestedmama

Hatching
8 Years
Dec 29, 2011
I am new to the forum and also new to chickens. I bought four chicks, raised them in my house. When they were fully featheterd I sent them out to their beautiful newly built coop and run. All is well with them. They seem happy and healthy and maybe will be giving me some wonderful eggs soon. My grandaughter recently "gifted" me with two more chicks. She thought they were about the same age as mine but they are about 2/3 the size of the older girls. I let them loose into the pen and the girls attacked. After a few chaotic moments I rounded them back into the cage and brought them to my bedroom. This is where they live. They are now quite large, and not the pleasantest to have as bedroom mates, but they are still not as big as the four original girls. Each time I have attempted to bring them to the pen, the girls attack. What should i do? I am considering dividing the pen but this will be a lot of hassle. Any suggestions?

CrestedMama in Tucson

You can divide the coop as that would be best to try and get them together. Or put them in a crate inside the coop so the others can not get them. I had the same issue and divided my coop for 2 weeks. It worked kind of as they all roost together on seperate roost of course. They are 2 sperate flocks though as the older onse still hassle them every once in a while. Good luck and welcome to BYC!

Thanks you are the only one that responded. I got them out into the enclosure in the pen and it seems to be working will. Thank you.

I just wanted to say thank you. I put the girls into a pen in the coop for about two weeks and last weekend I opened it up. They are venturing out and establiishing their territory in the flock. I appreciate your feedback.

Back
Top Bottom