Integrating Chickens

Love My Chickies

Songster
May 24, 2021
Texas City, TX
I'm putting my ~6 week olds in the run with my almost 3 month olds to begin getting acquainted. They stay in a couple of hours each visit. How long do you do this before kennel-free visits?
IMG_20210807_075823560.jpg

I'm putting my ~6 week olds in the run with my almost 3 month olds to begin getting acquainted. They stay in a couple of hours each visit. How long do you do this before kennel-free visits?View attachment 2789010
I would leave them in the crate (in the shade) with the flock all day for a week at least.
Then put them out in the crate with the original flock locked in the coop. Prop their door open and secure it so that only they can fit back inside the crate and let them out to explore the run by themselves for about an hour. Then let the flock out.
How much clutter is in the run? I would put stumps, pallets, old wood chair, whatever you have in the run so there are lots of things to fly up on and hide behind when you let them out.

Dobbie is spot on.. I like giving them places to hide with openings just big enough the little ones can go in. Almost anything will work.. Even just a piece of plywood leaned up against the fence they can go behind to break some eye contact can help.

I don't know how much total space they have or hiding places but at those ages they should adapt fairly quickly.

How many cockerels do you think you have?

Last edited:
I did. The man who was going to take them had an attack on his flock and had only one hen and one roo remaining so now he can't take them. So far they're all getting along so until I have problems I'm hoping for the best.

As To your question: Can you un hook the bottom from the sides? What I would do is lift the lower edge 4 inches off the ground. Then put the chicks back in there. This is their safe zone. Then let them go out, when they get brave enough, but they can retreat when they need too. Sometimes I will put a board horizontally out from the cage, on blocks too. Just gives more a visual block as the chick scurries under it to safety.

This lets them all work this out on chicken terms. Takes much less time, and for me anyway, much less trauma, than when people try to control it.

I agree, you have too many roosters. Do get a plan be set up and ready to go. It can go south quickly. Wishing they will all get along seldom works, do have a way of separating fighting roosters - such as a long handled fish net, or a chicken hook. Leather gloves and a sweatshirt, with jeans can also work if you are brave.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom