Integrating chicks??? Help

SoCha

Songster
7 Years
Jul 22, 2016
Canada
My Coop
My Coop
Hi, i have two young chicks, one is a lavender orpington of 7 weeks, and the other is a blue ameraucana of 5 weeks. The lavender had another chick with her, a blue orpington but we had to sell it because it was a male. The ameraucana was always alone but we would like to put these two chicks together so they can be together when we integrate them with bigger hens in the future.

The problem is that the orpington is pecking at the ameraucana and she won't let her eat, etc. I would like to know how to put these two together without having the younger one injured. How can we get them used to each other, are there any tricks of should we just not put them together and leave them apart? Thank you for any help!

Hi, i have two young chicks, one is a lavender orpington of 7 weeks, and the other is a blue ameraucana of 5 weeks. The lavender had another chick with her, a blue orpington but we had to sell it because it was a male. The ameraucana was always alone but we would like to put these two chicks together so they can be together when we integrate them with bigger hens in the future.

The problem is that the orpington is pecking at the ameraucana and she won't let her eat, etc. I would like to know how to put these two together without having the younger one injured. How can we get them used to each other, are there any tricks of should we just not put them together and leave them apart? Thank you for any help!
Are they still in a brooder? I would recommend just putting a piece of hardware cloth up between them and giving them each their own set up and I bet within a week you will be able to put them together. When you do put them together it is really helpful if there is a lot of room, bushes, plants , little obstacles. It is also a good idea if you put up a few different food stations.

Are they still in a brooder? I would recommend just putting a piece of hardware cloth up between them and giving them each their own set up and I bet within a week you will be able to put them together. When you do put them together it is really helpful if there is a lot of room, bushes, plants , little obstacles. It is also a good idea if you put up a few different food stations.
Ok thank you so much!

Space is the key I think. The more room they have the better they get along. I have 4 week old chicks, 7 week old chicks and 3 month old chicks all living together. I have recently opened in the run and all my adult chickens are mingling with them too. The run is huge so even when one gets chased there is room to run away and the chase doesn't last very long! They have outside the run 3/4ths of a football field that is fenced for their free range area. So, I really think that because they have so much room (42 chickens of different ages) they get along just fine!

all ages together.jpg

Back
Top Bottom