Integrating chicks into flock at 4 weeks old.

Pics
The brooding pen has been in the coop/run for a couple weeks and the door is the one they always go in and out of. I keep it open enough for them to get into but not the hens when I let them comingle. They panic though and scramble and don't go to it. I think elevating would be much easier for them to get into. Going to give it a shot anyway. We'll see.
Oh so you're going to elevate the separation wall, that might work well,
have seen others do that with success.
This issue is why I made 3 doors....I thought about raising the wall, but was concerned the bedding would just jam up the gap.

The brooding pen has been in the coop/run for a couple weeks and the door is the one they always go in and out of. I keep it open enough for them to get into but not the hens when I let them comingle. They panic though and scramble and don't go to it. I think elevating would be much easier for them to get into. Going to give it a shot anyway. We'll see.

I made a cardboard panel with two cut outs, for them to get back in the brooder and they had no problems getting back inside. I don't think leaving my door cracked would have worked.

20180324_165043.jpg

As usual, I agree with @aart - making sure they understand the doors is critical. I have two..one at the end of the brooder pen and one on the side closest to the open area of the run. When I first start letting the chicks out, the adults are out in the yard. Then I gently “herd” the chicks back in.....let them out, herd them in, lather, rinse, repeat. I also have other hidey spaces provided so if they panic and aren’t close enough to the brooder, they can still find a safe spot.

Low bird in adult flock is almost always the 'meanest' during an integration...finally she has someone to beat on.
Yep, darn that Penelope!

Oh so you're going to elevate the separation wall, that might work well, have seen others do that with success.
I ended up putting a piece of plywood halfway down the 12' long parallel roosts so Penelope would have to work too hard to chase off the younger birds. That saved me from having to move some of the younger ones into the coop after dark every night. BUT several of the birds decided they wanted to roost ON the 1/2" divider. So much for needing the flat side of a 2x4. I took the divider out when it started to get cold, no way they could keep their toes covered.

I think I'll put up a strip of cardboard along the lower part of the brooder next time. My girls would run back and forth looking for the opening and could see where they wanted to go.

My situation. Will cut holes in the wire and add cardboard. It's tight at 50 sft for 4 LF and 1 bantam and that probably contributes to the henpecking. It's what I got though.

Attachments

• IMG_5080.JPG
    IMG_5080.JPG
    516.2 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_5081.JPG
    IMG_5081.JPG
    673.4 KB · Views: 16
This method is about integrating incubated or purchased chicks....a broody mama should integrate the chicks for you.

Perfect timing for me to find this post! Thanks, @aart !

Question: You say a broody mama that hatches her own babies will do it all?

I was planning on using a temporary wall that will encompass the nesting box they will hatch in as well as the adjoining nest box (to put their food and water in) with some open floor space in front of both nesting boxes. The other girls and my roo will be "with" them but no the other side of the temporary wall at roosting time and when the other ladies go to lay their eggies. They don't go into the coop for any other reason. Should I go with my plan or just let well enough alone from minute of hatch with no temporary wall?

Back
Top Bottom