Integrating chicks into flock at 4 weeks old.

Pics
How old are your chicks? I started integrating at 4 weeks. Here's some of them at 6 weeks. It has worked real good integrating this young. I also raised them in the coop brooder, which I'm sure helped even more.

20180408_192028.jpg

I will be getting 3 chick's in about 2 weeks, and another 3 in a month. I will have the brooder in the coop from the start. I will be using the heating pad for the first time. Heat lamps seem to have too many risks. Just wish this winter cold would give up and give spring a chance.

The MHP will work good for you in the coop. My low temps were in the 20's and highs in the 40's, they did great. I've used the MHP before, but this was the first time I raised them in the coop. Good luck with your new chicks!

Many of us switch to an all flock feed, sometimes for good.
Yeppers! All Flock is all I've ever fed.

I will be getting 3 chick's in about 2 weeks, and another 3 in a month. I will have the brooder in the coop from the start. I will be using the heating pad for the first time. Heat lamps seem to have too many risks. Just wish this winter cold would give up and give spring a chance.
Integrating the 2 groups of chicks may be a challenge...4 weeks is a pretty big age gap. It may go great, but be prepared to brood separately for a time and do some 'Chick Juggling'.

Your right about the timing being for specific breeds. The spacing is actually going to be about 2 1/2 weeks apart. I'm hoping that will be close enough to work ok. I have a small prefab coop in the outside run I plan to raise up on blocks so the little ones can go under to get away from the older girls. Where do you buy the all flock feed?

The spacing is actually going to be about 2 1/2 weeks apart. I
2 1/2 weeks might be OK.
I had that span last year. Split the brooder, put the 36 hour old chicks in one side, both they and the oldest chick really wanted on the other side. I put the older in with the tinys and it just wanted at the waterer, completely ignored the tinys. So tinys went over with the crowd of 10 and there was absolutely no problems, <shrugs>integration over.
Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

Back
Top Bottom