Integrating chicks into flock at 4 weeks old.

Pics
Same with my low girl last spring. She gets chased off by all the other hens so I guess she figured she could maintain that position and be above the chicks. They are almost a year old now and still run from her. For some time she was chasing them off the roosts at night even though they weren't near her and there is more than enough room for all. I guess that makes her higher in the pecking order but she has no friends.
:lau

Our three chicks will be three weeks old tomorrow. They are currently indoors in dog crate. No heat lamp but a regular 75 watt bulb. Temperature near the light is 70°. They typically sleep away from the light.

I would like to get them outside asap. Forecast for the next 7 days are daytime highs in the low to mid 40's and nights slightly above to a few degrees below freezing. I haven't yet made them a Mama Heating pad.

We only have one very sweet Easter egger hen who is barely over a year old. Our coop is quite small 3' x 8' (not including the nest boxes) so trying to figure out how to get the chicks in there and be comfortable/protected without the dog crate. I could possibly fit something smaller in the bottom portion of the coop.

Also, the chicks are on medicated food as they were from Wilco and not vaccinated. Opehlia our EE hen is on Purina Layer crumbles. Their run will be quite large but has not been built yet. Currently, I try to let Ophelia out several times per day to forage while I watch over her.

Greatly appreciate any suggestions.

Attachments

• IMG_20190219_111010.jpg
    IMG_20190219_111010.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20190219_111101.jpg
    IMG_20190219_111101.jpg
    515.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20190219_111114.jpg
    IMG_20190219_111114.jpg
    568.8 KB · Views: 8
For inside the coop, take a milk crate and place it upside down over the chicks the first night. During the day, elevate the crate a couple of inches on maybe bricks. Tape it or secure it to the bricks. This will allow a safe zone that the chicks can escape to, but the hen can not get them. Have a bit of food and water in there. I suggest using nipple water so as to minimize the water mess in the coop.

Switch your laying hen to the chick feed with oyster shell on the side. Eventually when the chick feed is gone, go to flock raiser, and by the time you are through that everyone can go on layer feed again.

3 week old chicks really do not need heat, but rather a huddle box. A rubbermaid tote box on its side will provide a good windbreak, with either a wooly hen or the mama heating pad in it for the day time. You could tack up a little bit of chicken wire to keep them close by for a few days. I do think chicks need fresh air and sunshine as soon as possible.

Mrs K

I suggest using nipple water so as to minimize the water mess in the coop.

I do plan to do this again. We had a nipple waterer for our flock we lost a few years ago and they work great.

Switch your laying hen to the chick feed with oyster shell on the side. Eventually when the chick feed is gone, go to flock raiser, and by the time you are through that everyone can go on layer feed again.
Thank you.

3 week old chicks really do not need heat, but rather a huddle box....... I do think chicks need fresh air and sunshine as soon as possible. Mrs K
Completely agree. Just worried since they're currently inside, if the large temperature change will be a problem.

Thank you. :)

Last edited:
We had 6 week old chicks in a pen next to the adults and one got into the adult pen. They scalped him and he had to be stitched up. I am pretty sure they would kill 4 week old chicks.

I've moved the dog crate out on our patio near an outlet so their light bulb can still be on. I'm also going to construct a Mama Heating pad so the light will be off at night.

Ophelia immediately came running over to check them out.

IMG_20190220_104840.jpg

Back
Top Bottom