Integrating chicks into flock at 4 weeks old.

Pics
I don't think waiting longer will make it better, probably worse since they will be seen even more as competition as the grow.

Chickens can duck, make the vertical gap a bit less than the chicks are tall.

Yes, that one. Oh no! Seriously? So what’s the game plan now? Will I have to wait until they are big? Well, at least it’s summer break - I guess I can make the time if there’s no way around that... but their pens will get small....

I would still do it early, but it won't work exactly the same as a 4 week integration might. Bruceha2000's suggestion was a good one if you're trying to make panic doors/ safety gaps. Depending on how big the chicks are vs the adults that may be a little difficult (I know by 8 weeks my chicks had outgrown some of their safety avenues), so it's going to be even more important that you have plenty of room and hiding places (aka clutter) in the run for the chicks to use, as well as feeders and waterers spread around.

Once you start integration, as long as no one is getting injured or being bullied or harassed to the point that they can't eat or take a breather... let them work it out. It's normal to see some pecking or chasing.

I don't think waiting longer will make it better, probably worse since they will be seen even more as competition as the grow.

Chickens can duck, make the vertical gap a bit less than the chicks are tall.
That’s what I thought - Right now they are maybe a quarter of the size of my big girls and they are still plenty fast... and they have had a full two weeks of side by side living already.
I will try it.
I just read in the thread though that the bottom openings could get blocked by kicked up shavings, so I will have to change my plan for access to the safe areas a bit...

You can always make a taller but narrower opening. An 8 week old chick of any breed will fit through spaces an adult can not. It could even be 4" wide, unless your bigs are bantams.

You can always make a taller but narrower opening. An 8 week old chick of any breed will fit through spaces an adult can not. It could even be 4" wide, unless your bigs are bantams.
Nah, the smallest big ones are my SFH and (hatchery) RIR. A few are quite big (Brahmas and SS). I’ll try the 4 inch slots.

Couple of my bigs could fit thru a 4x4 door....that's why this technique needs to be done younger rather than older...and why I suggest adjustable 'tiny doors'.

Tho I agree the sooner the better for @Stephine's chicks.
Might be better to start new thread here,
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/managing-your-flock.2/create-thread
showing your coop/run setup so we can make suggestions.

Any updates on your hen and chicks??

After several weeks, my girls are all getting along well. Not perfect, but peaceful. One thing that has made a big difference is the wooden step ladder I picked up at the transfer station. The littles use it to escape to safety and watch the big girls from afar. They didn't seem to like going into hiding places (like wooden crates, etc.) but like going up high.
I haven’t been on in a while! We put them on a small cage for 3 nights in the coop and then just decided to let them in. They all get along great! and our old girl is back to laying as of 4 days ago ❤️

Back
Top Bottom