Integrating chicks into flock at 4 weeks old.

I move them manually every morning and night. It's just some safety fencing and step in poles with some fruit netting on top. There's really no way to put a door in. But maybe I could put a chute... I really would prefer to let them run in the coop vs. outside though. The pen is to keep them out of my barn cat moreso than anything else.
The 'littles sleeping quarters' in that one pic looks to be a good start and could be built onto with a bit more framing and a door.

1628434074212.png

Here are pics of my coop and the littles' pen. The bigs are currently keeping them company and snacking on mealy worms.

I'd like to be very clear that I am not willing to construct anything structural or buy anything that I can't go pick up at the Dollar General to integrate them. So please keep suggestions low tech, and something I can accomplish in 60 minutes or less. I am in decent physical condition and able bodied. I do have scrap wood, fasteners and tools with which I could build a crate or something.

View attachment 2789951View attachment 2789952View attachment 2789953View attachment 2789949View attachment 2789950
Nice.
I put a littles door in something like that with some very simple (non structural) framing and then just cut the wire inside the frame.
I had some other issues to deal with because my whole set-up is on a hill so I also got involved in creating a fire escape for them!

This is probably the easiest idea yet!!! I could just slam some scrap OSB on there to give them a hidey hole and not mess with the wire or anything. Put a hinged door in with a latch so I can slide their food and water under there and let it happen. Bless you!!

That should do it! They can get food when the bigs don't want to share and have somewhere to run and hide if needed. I'm still putting feed in the little's feeder in the brooder area in the coop. That way they can eat in the morning before I open the barn without having to fight the adults at the feeder in the alley.

No, I just put a 1x4 around the legs, they can go under their sleeping quarters now. In fact, these will probably be their new sleeping quarters if we don't have a bloodbath tonight.

Back
Top Bottom