Integrating chicks: No Bueno

sphillips

Songster
6 Years
Feb 18, 2013
New Mexico
So, here's the deal. 8 Production Red hens, currently 12 weeks old. 6 Bantams (4 of which are roosters) about 8 weeks old. Original plan: 8x8 shed with large run, etc etc etc. That didn't work out. After buying the big girls, we purchased a prefab coop, which is working out well, not quite big enough for my 8 girls once they're all grown up, but it's working for now. They have plenty of run space/free range time. They have been outside since about 6 weeks old.
Saw Bantam chicks at TSC. Bought 6. Bought another prefab, attached that to the large run. This coop is larger by quite a bit. Large enough for my big girls. More than large enough for the Bantams.
The chicks have been outside for about 4 weeks, in their own coop/run, which is attached to the large run, but no access to the big run. So hens and chicks had time to get to know one another for a period of about 4 weeks. The plan was to cut a SMALL hole last weekend to let them go into the run together. DH cut a hole, but it was bigger than I had planned. Well, figured we'd see how this works. Had done this before with no issues.
Right off the bat, one of the hens picked up a rooster by the back the threw him. No blood drawn, so I thought I'd keep an eye on them. Over the last week, nobody maimed or injured, but the babies now are staying in their coop. Won't come down into even their little run, because the big hens go in there. Last night we fenced off part of the run for the bantams so that the hens can't get to them.
This is not working how I planned. The big hens are in the small coop, the little ones in the large coop. Had hoped that everyone would get along and pick a coop where they felt comfortable. I have 4 roosters, two of which make breeding pairs, so that's cool, but too many roosters.
Plan was/is to build a bachelor pad for the boys, once they get a bit older, but now it looks like I'll have two Bantam hens in by themselves, in a big coop, the big girls in by themselves, in the small coop, and four roosters in their own pen. Not the chicken nirvana I'd imagined!
I'd love any input here, have had chickens years ago, maybe I'm just a bit rusty on how all this is supposed to work!

If I'm understanding correctly the doors from the chicks run into the pullets are too big? If that's right then I'd just choke them way down to maybe 6x6".

I think you need at least 2 doors, maybe 3. I'd also include some way to keep the bigger birds from lurking right around the openings, maybe small boxes with holes on all sides.

Others will have more complete suggestions but that's helped me.

Bantams especially can use teeny tiny doors. My bantam rooster made it into my outdoor brooder: the door is only 2”x4”. Take a piece of cardboard and attach it to the door with a much smaller hole cut that only the bantams can use. You still have to integrate if that’s your goal and convince the bantams to re-emerge from the coop, but the first step to both of those is providing them with the safe getaway space they need.

Harmony: Do you think they can all eventually learn to get along? That's my preference, but I don't want any injuries or losses in the process!

I do. When I open the doors, it’s entirely up to the chicks to come out and they do, but they always have their brooder to go back to if they want. Sometimes older chicks still slip in there, but never adults. (Rogue banty rooster lives in another pen now.)

I would definitely make the outdoor space safe for the chicks again. Then I would put food next to the fence. Make them come right up to one another to eat so tolerance of each other grows on both sides. Try again when the chicks are back to behaving normally, which will probably be fast. Do a supervised outing at first and then put the chicks away until you see nothing much happens when they get together. When they’re together, they should have as much space as you can give them while still providing a retreat for the chicks. Don’t try first thing in the morning. Just casually saunter out when everyone is just minding their own business and open the doors and let them decide. Don’t make the chicks’ coop the only safe place to go. Let safety still be in sight of the others.

As of yesterday evening, the bantams have their own portion of the bigger run. Its fenced off from the big girls, but gives them more room. My DH was going to build a gate for people access this weekend, but what I'm going to do us cut a small hole in a few places that the bantams can get through but not the big girls. Will try that for a few weeks, see how that goes. Thoughts?

Take the banties and and put them in a dog crate or cardboard box, then put the bigger chickens in the bigger coop ... then put the banties in the little coop ... :)

This coop is larger by quite a bit. Large enough for my big girls
How big is this coop, in feet by feet? Pics would help.
So you have 8 PR that are 12 weeks old.
6 Bantams (4 of which are roosters) about 8 weeks old.
....and another 6 bantams that are how old?

Aart, I have 2 coops, prefab, which aren't very big. One is big enough I believe for the big girls, both are plenty big for the bantam. Each coop has its own 'run. The shared run is 12x12, the big girls get to free range daily. I have 8 PR about 12 weeks old, 6 bantams about 7 weeks old. 4 of which are roosters. So 14 birds total. We will be putting up another large run with a small coop for the boys here soon. I will post pics in a bit.

How big is this coop, in feet by feet? Pics would help.
So you have 8 PR that are 12 weeks old.
6 Bantams (4 of which are roosters) about 8 weeks old.
....and another 6 bantams that are how old?
The big coop is about (I'm guessing here) 4x3 not counting nesting boxes. The other is 3x3 with nesting boxes. So 21 sq feet (about) between the two. That's 10.5 birds @ 2 sq ft each. I will have 8 standard hens and 2 bantam hens to share this space. Its tight I know, but I hope the free ranging helps.

Back
Top Bottom