20180516_165147.jpg
    870.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 20180516_165125.jpg
    20180516_165125.jpg
    938.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 20180516_165105.jpg
    20180516_165105.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
Those are really attractive prefabs. I like them both!

So here’s another option: now would be a good time for free ranging your younger set. My chicks are free to leave the coop and run starting at four weeks. Often they don’t work up the nerve until six weeks, but that’s where you’re at with your bantams. Let the kids get used to the space, supervised if you’re worried about their safety.

Then integrate outside the coops. That is the space you need. Supervise still for as long as you feel you need to. You can even limit the first interaction to 15 minutes. Let the older ones out first, let them walk away and forage and do their thing, then let the younger ones out. Let them find each other in ones and twos with lots of places to go.

Those are really attractive prefabs. I like them both!

So here’s another option: now would be a good time for free ranging your younger set. My chicks are free to leave the coop and run starting at four weeks. Often they don’t work up the nerve until six weeks, but that’s where you’re at with your bantams. Let the kids get used to the space, supervised if you’re worried about their safety.

Then integrate outside the coops. That is the space you need. Supervise still for as long as you feel you need to. You can even limit the first interaction to 15 minutes. Let the older ones out first, let them walk away and forage and do their thing, then let the younger ones out. Let them find each other in ones and twos with lots of places to go.
I worry about the little ones with the hawks, they aren't super friendly, don't know if I can get them back in! I would love to let them out to explore. Just thought waiting till they were a bit older was a good idea. When I have some time tomorrow I will let them out and keep an eye on them.

I worry about the little ones with the hawks, they aren't super friendly, don't know if I can get them back in! I would love to let them out to explore. Just thought waiting till they were a bit older was a good idea. When I have some time tomorrow I will let them out and keep an eye on them.
Maybe take a few days and train them to a fun signal. Mine recognize the cup I feed scratch from. If they aren’t already following me when they see it, rattling it gets everyone’s attention. Setting up a cue like that before ranging might be helpful.

Also, I heard this advice and followed it and loved it. Let them out a little before dark. Watch them, of course, that’s a dangerous time anyway, but then their own instincts will lead them back to the coop in short order and persuasion or pursuit won’t be necessary.

Both of those are too small for all your birds.
Might think about turning the gable roofed coop/run into one large open air coop by removing coop wall on run side and maybe siding the back in solid...put long roosts up.
Can you add a large secure run that has access to both coops...give them more space to co-mingle without the risk of free ranging.

Back
Top Bottom