Integrating chicks to the flock

nashyboi

In the Brooder
Aug 26, 2023
Hello,

So I always see people asking what age you can start integrating chicks to the rest of the flock.
I have seen people say 8 weeks, I have seen people say 1 week.
I personally do this.

So when I bring home my chicks from the hatchery I first check for pasty butt ( when the chicks has a bunch of poop build up on it but), or any kind of disease.

I then ( if I have a broody hen) put one of them under her to see her reaction. If she is startled I take them away, if she mothers it the I try the same thing on my other chicks. Or even if she gets aggressive I take them away.

If I don’t have a broody hen I imprint my face on them ( this means to make them see you as mama hen )

Ok but now I’ll tell you the age to start integrating.
Ok so the age to start integrating can vary, it mostly depends on the temperature outside, if it’s below 50 degrees(f) then they should be mostly feathered before you integrate, if it is above 50 degrees(f), then they can be at least 2.5 weeks of age.
if it’s above 80 degrees(f), then really you can take them out whenever.

That’s when I integrate my chicks. NEVER just throw your chicks out with the big girls without a cage, they can and will kill them.

Ok so the age to start integrating can vary, it mostly depends on the temperature outside, if it’s below 50 degrees(f) then they should be mostly feathered before you integrate, if it is above 50 degrees(f), then they can be at least 2.5 weeks of age.
if it’s above 80 degrees(f), then really you can take them out whenever.
This is a good guideline for when we can put our chicks outside.

For integrating, with silkies, when they're the same size, or 5 months, no segregation is needed in the coop as they get along fine. We have two grow-out pens for this, but if we run short and have to push some in early, we put a hutch/wooden box with an opening only big enough for them in the coop.

Back
Top Bottom