Integrating chicks with chicks

How old is the broody hen chicks. If less than two weeks, I would just let her in with the flock. She will teach the flock correct chicken society. But if the chicks are much older, you have missed that window, and will need to do it like you plan, but I would do it much sooner than 16 weeks. I would do it before the second broody hen's chicks hatch.

I don't think two broody hens, with a great deal of time between hatches, will work well.

Mrs K
Thank you, Mrs K. I worry about the flying predators catching them in the daytime. We have lots of hawks that catch them if they are small. That’s why I try to keep them penned up until they are bigger. My adult birds free range from 730am till dark or they put themselves to bed. I’m guessing the adult birds will tell them to take cover. I have one bantam rooster I’m shocked that is still with me

I have lost a lot of full size birds to flying predators. So if you are not loosing adult birds, I would not worry about it. However, a lot depends on the age of the chicks. If less than 3-4 weeks, the broody hen will have enough hormones to be very aggressive to anything else. But if over 3-4 weeks, she will be shortly forgetting that they were her chicks.

I get mine in the flock, as the flock is the safest place for them. If they are part of the flock, they will follow the flock's cues. I am assuming you have a rooster. A rooster dramatically decreases my day time predation. In keeping them separated, you are not letting the chicks grow up in the chicken society. Missing, (imho) a valuable protection.

However, do what you are most comfortable with. I do not think having two broody hens with different age chicks will work.

Mrs K

I have lost a lot of full size birds to flying predators. So if you are not loosing adult birds, I would not worry about it. However, a lot depends on the age of the chicks. If less than 3-4 weeks, the broody hen will have enough hormones to be very aggressive to anything else. But if over 3-4 weeks, she will be shortly forgetting that they were her chicks.

I get mine in the flock, as the flock is the safest place for them. If they are part of the flock, they will follow the flock's cues. I am assuming you have a rooster. A rooster dramatically decreases my day time predation. In keeping them separated, you are not letting the chicks grow up in the chicken society. Missing, (imho) a valuable protection.

However, do what you are most comfortable with. I do not think having two broody hens with different age chicks will work.

Mrs K
The first day was kinda brutal for the mama. Several of the hens was fighting her. I had to save her a few times. So I just closed nursery back up after about an hour. I’ve open the coop for 2 mornings and she is still picked on but she runs back away from the rest of the flock. So far the flock don’t seem to bother the babies. I’m wondering when I should move them to big coop? Also after I move them to big coop should I cage them at night to protect them from the flock? They have until Oct. 30 to get out of nursery before the other babies hatch.

I've never had issues integrating closely aged chicks with other chicks. I literally just toss them right in, and forget about it. I stress though "closely aged". If they're even just a few weeks apart, the older ones will crush your younger ones by just walking all over them (especially in a small space). The more space you have, the more ok it becomes to integrate different aged chicks.

Back
Top Bottom