Integrating flocks

chriscachicken

In the Brooder
Mar 23, 2020
california
Hello! I have a question about integrating 2 groups of bantams. I have 2 seramas and a polish bantam that are 6-7 weeks old. They are all together. I also have 10 other bantams, silkies, Miller's, mottled cochin. They are 3 weeks old. I have them in a brooder I made so both groups can see eachother but not get to eachother. They have been like this for about a week. What age should put them together?

Hello! I have a question about integrating 2 groups of bantams. I have 2 seramas and a polish bantam that are 6-7 weeks old. They are all together. I also have 10 other bantams, silkies, Miller's, mottled cochin. They are 3 weeks old. I have them in a brooder I made so both groups can see eachother but not get to eachother. They have been like this for about a week. What age should put them together?
How large is your setup? Can you post pictures?
If they've been within sight of each other for a week, you could fashion a door small enough for the littles to fit through but not the bigger ones and see how that goes. You do need a lot of room to integrate but these are younger sub-groups so I'd be inclined to make a little door or two for the littles to come and go. And make sure there is no place where a little one could get cornered or trapped away from the heat source.

This is the setup I have at the moment. It is 8'x3' divided down the middle.

Attachments

• 15904459064798966774003456690545.jpg
    15904459064798966774003456690545.jpg
    794.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 1590445922260598845480365060620.jpg
    1590445922260598845480365060620.jpg
    705.6 KB · Views: 8
How large is your setup? Can you post pictures?
If they've been within sight of each other for a week, you could fashion a door small enough for the littles to fit through but not the bigger ones and see how that goes. You do need a lot of room to integrate but these are younger sub-groups so I'd be inclined to make a little door or two for the littles to come and go. And make sure there is no place where a little one could get cornered or trapped away from the heat source.
I like the idea of making a door or 2

Think chicks are too close in size for tiny doors to work.
Is wall easy to take down and put back in?
I'd just take it down and see what happens.

Or just start mix and matching, put a few from one side to the other, then do it again, and again. If no fighting just take down the wall.

I can remove the divider easily. I was looking at them yesterday and I'm thinking the seramas would be able to use the doors too. I may just take it out and supervise.

after removing the divider a couple times to let them interact
im almost positive one of my seramas is a roo. she/he is agressive to all the younger chicks. pecking hard. the other 2 dont mind the younger chicks

Back
Top Bottom