Integrating hatchery chicks to hatched at home chicks

LadiesAndJane

Life is good...
9 Years
May 16, 2014
Hawaii
59A308A5-D2C3-465F-B719-5F7A638D2995.jpeg
F4F31708-A2F6-44C4-A7A1-16B66508D8DD.jpeg
I have only 2 chicks from my last hatch (out of 34 original and 6 that went to lockdown, just a bad run), hatched late last Saturday. I have some hatchery chicks coming next week, so they will be about one week in age difference. I am not so concerned about this, but rather the need to quarantine the newbies. My chicks have been vaccinated for Mareks (a whole bottle for 2 chicks, I know....) and I am feeding them medicated feed for coccidiosis. The hatchery chicks will be vaccinated for Mareks and coccidiosis. Can I just put them together directly when the new ones arrive?
Also, when should I start introducing them to their future older flock mates (10 of them) that are all 6 weeks old and just moved out to the coop. I was thinking about letting the new chicks hang out in a dog pen, inside the run if the weather is good for a little bit starting from when they are 2 weeks old.
Thanks!:)

Last edited:
I don’t think you need to quarantine chicks that young. They usually don’t have any diseases yet being so young. But it might not hurt. And since all of your birds are so young still, you could probably even put them with the older ones sooner. But it may be better to wait a little bit just to be sure they don’t get hurt and know where everything is ha but I would definitely do the look but don’t touch thing for a week or two first to be sure but with such young chicks they should be fine with just that.

I don’t think you need to quarantine chicks that young. They usually don’t have any diseases yet being so young. But it might not hurt. And since all of your birds are so young still, you could probably even put them with the older ones sooner. But it may be better to wait a little bit just to be sure they don’t get hurt and know where everything is ha but I would definitely do the look but don’t touch thing for a week or two first to be sure but with such young chicks they should be fine with just that.
Thanks @KDOGG331 for your awesome advice! I really appreciate it 😊

@KDOGG331 If you have a second, since you answered this question so well, what do you think of putting 5 week olds & 3 week olds together? The 5 weeks olds have been spending the days in their run (3 of them) & nights inside. Today is the first day out, ever, for the almost 3 weeks olds, in a dog crate positioned next to the run. I’ve looked all over for a post about integrating chicks that are 2 weeks apart, but haven’t found one!! Thanks in advance for any insight. I really appreciate it!

@KDOGG331 If you have a second, since you answered this question so well, what do you think of putting 5 week olds & 3 week olds together? The 5 weeks olds have been spending the days in their run (3 of them) & nights inside. Today is the first day out, ever, for the almost 3 weeks olds, in a dog crate positioned next to the run. I’ve looked all over for a post about integrating chicks that are 2 weeks apart, but haven’t found one!! Thanks in advance for any insight. I really appreciate it!
I think they should be fine too!! But I would still do it the same as you would with any chickens.... see but don’t touch for a bit first. The dog crate is a good idea or can you possibly section off part of the run or coop for them??? I would maybe do the look but don’t touch thing for a week or two first but you can test it sooner probably, let them mingle some maybe and see how they do and if they’re really mean then separate them again. How many of the little ones are there? It’s easier if there’s at least 2 or 3 rather than a single one.

Thank you so very much!! There are 3 older girls & 2 little ones...there is only 1 of the older girls I think, that might be a trouble maker...she’s a very late feathering (hopefully not a Roo) b/b/s Orpington...the other is also an Orp & we have a cream legbar w a seemingly great disposition. The younger 2 are a Sussex & olive egger...It’s an Eglu coop w a 3 m run, so am thinking I can make a section for the little 2...even if it’s a bit small....Thanks again for all of your help!

Oh, and we had 3 little girls but lost one Thurs nite...Rite of passage of chicken keeping I suppose :(

Thank you so very much!! There are 3 older girls & 2 little ones...there is only 1 of the older girls I think, that might be a trouble maker...she’s a very late feathering (hopefully not a Roo) b/b/s Orpington...the other is also an Orp & we have a cream legbar w a seemingly great disposition. The younger 2 are a Sussex & olive egger...It’s an Eglu coop w a 3 m run, so am thinking I can make a section for the little 2...even if it’s a bit small....Thanks again for all of your help!
No problem!!! It sounds like they should be fine then :) you could always try putting them together and seeing how they do; they’re young enough I doubt they’d hurt them, but I’d definitely recommend trying the separation

Back
Top Bottom