Integrating new babies into flock, Help please.

BeckyandHerBrood

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 20, 2011
Champaign, IL
Hello, I am loooking for a little integration advice. I have 3 hens that are 11 weeks old and 4 chicks that are 4 weeks old. They have been in the run togehter with a divider in the middle (they could see each other) for about a week. Tonight I slipped the babies into the coop with the bigger girls for the night. Am I crazy? Will I wake up in the morning to a bloody mess? I have read that it is best to wait until they are all the same size, but would really love to de-segregate my chicken population and get on with our lives. Should I run out and grab the babies back out to save them, or do you think they will be fine?

Please help calm this nervous chicken mama...I am scared that I just threw my babies to the wolves.

I'd be out there as the Sun comes up to see what happens.... sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but where they are all so young, I think you have a good chance of it working.

I just went to check on them, and they are all in a big fluffy chicken pile cuddled together in the coop, this makes me SO happy. I sure hope this works.

I had GREAT luck combining group #2 and #3 with three being youngest and two being my middle ones. I think the fact that there were more in the younger group overwhelmed the #2 group so they accepted them. However, I have never had ANY luck adding group #2 to group #1. Group #1 is just about 3 weeks older but I should have tried to mesh them at a younger age, I waited until the older ones were about 15 weeks which was too long. I'm glad yours worked!

I went out to open the coop door this morning and everyone was fine. My BO hen is the leader of the older girls and she is a little pecky with the little ones, but she never removes feathers or draws blood so I think it will be OK. So far so good.

Back
Top Bottom