Integrating new chickens...a unique situation.

And are you saying I should have a backup heat source for those -30 days? Do you know if those "cozy coop" or other wall mounted infrared heaters work well enough?
It depends on how often you get below
-30C, and how long it stays that cold. A few short dips would be fine.... but if it stays in that range, or much colder for weeks at a time, yes I would consider some kind of heating option.

You are welcome!

If you have any questions, just ask.
Well, since you're offering... I might have one or two questions right now. 😅

1. Do you think my roosting bars are ok or would flat pieces of wood be better for winter? They are fairly wide tree branches and they seem to be able to fully cover their feet with their body/feathers while roosting, but I'm wondering if the roundness will be more slippery in the winter 🤔

2. What age would you try to integrate chicks into the flock and will they be ok in the winter or need their heating mat? My chicks range in age from about 4.5-6 ish weeks old.. The bigger ones are basically fully feathered, the younger ones not quite. They are living in the other half of the chicken coop already, but still in their brooder with a heating mat.
Last night we actually had our first frost! They all seemed totally fine this morning, including the boys who slept out in the run. They were all up and crowing with the sun this morning!

1. Do you think my roosting bars are ok or would flat pieces of wood be better for winter? They are fairly wide tree branches and they seem to be able to fully cover their feet with their body/feathers while roosting, but I'm wondering if the roundness will be more slippery in the winter 🤔

If they can fully cover their toes then it should be fine.

Not sure why they would be more slippery in the winter..... you could always rough them up if you think they are super smooth.

2. What age would you try to integrate chicks into the flock and will they be ok in the winter or need their heating mat? My chicks range in age from about 4.5-6 ish weeks old.. The bigger ones are basically fully feathered, the younger ones not quite. They are living in the other half of the chicken coop already, but still in their brooder with a heating mat.
Last night we actually had our first frost! They all seemed totally fine this morning, including the boys who slept out in the run. They were all up and crowing with the sun this morning!

4.5 weeks old is pretty good.

Depends how fast you get cold, and how cold.

I would keep them with the heat until they act like they are happy without. But yes, you might want to keep it longer than you would in summer.

With young stock I do watch them much more closely, because no, they aren't as hardy as the adults.

Since your flock is so varied it is pretty important to have multiple feeding stations. Often more dominant chickens will bully off the younger ones.

It is very important to make sure that all of them can eat as much as they want.

If they can fully cover their toes then it should be fine.

Not sure why they would be more slippery in the winter..... you could always rough them up if you think they are super smooth.

4.5 weeks old is pretty good.

Depends how fast you get cold, and how cold.

I would keep them with the heat until they act like they are happy without. But yes, you might want to keep it longer than you would in summer.

With young stock I do watch them much more closely, because no, they aren't as hardy as the adults.

Since your flock is so varied it is pretty important to have multiple feeding stations. Often more dominant chickens will bully off the younger ones.

It is very important to make sure that all of them can eat as much as they want.
Ok thanks! I think I might kick my cats out of there sooner than later and then I can let the littles have free reign of the one side for a little while.. They'll be close to the big hens but still have their own space and I can keep their heating pad in there for them to sleep on, that's all they seem to use it for at this point. It's still warm during the day, but dropped last night to freezing.

Also I picked up my 3 Swedish hens this evening. I opened the kennel in the run and just let them out. They are already mingling with my original flock and barely even any staring. One of the new hens from yesterday gave a peck to one, but in all they seem to be getting along amazingly well! I think my original flock is pretty chill, it's now the new girls vs. the newer girls, but I think they're sorting it out relatively well.

Minus my now flock of roosters. One of them made it over my makeshift fence to try and do some mating... Guess he's just excited about all the new ladies. Lol

Attachments

• IMG_20210903_184931.jpg
    IMG_20210903_184931.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20210903_184559.jpg
    IMG_20210903_184559.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
Oh and one more question.. Do hens have to go through a molt to grow back their wing feathers if they've been clipped? The 3 Swedish hens are clipped so I'm just wondering. I haven't clipped any of my own and don't plan to. The reason the lady was selling them was because a bunch have been picked off by a fox and couldn't fly away.

Back
Top Bottom