Integrating new chickens...a unique situation.

Your Ruby looks to be a cockerel. Their flight feathers will fall out during a molt and grow new ones. You may have to help them get the clipped feathers out while their molting though.
Ok good to know about the feathers..

And I definitely think Ruby looks like a cockerel too.. The lady did say she would take him back and help me sell if it turned out to be a roo. Not sure why she sold him to me in the first place when I told her I was looking for definite pullets. The other two she sold me I think are for sure girls though. So at least there's that...🤷‍♀️

Every time i open the lid of my brooder to feed/water/clean, the chicks all practice flying and roosting. Can't wait for them to join the big girls in the flock for real not just from behind the chicken wire! I'm wondering if I can make some kind of small entrances in the chicken wire that the littles can get through, but not the hens, so that they can start exploring the other side sooner but still get back to their side if being chased. Maybe under the nesting boxes (that still need to be finished!)

Attachments

• IMG_20210903_192149.jpg
    IMG_20210903_192149.jpg
    817.2 KB · Views: 9
I'm wondering if I can make some kind of small entrances in the chicken wire that the littles can get through, but not the hens, so that they can start exploring the other side sooner but still get back to their side if being chased. Maybe under the nesting boxes (that still need to be finished!)
Yes, that(Tiny Doors) can work very well, but your chicks maybe be too big for that by now.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/integrating-new-birds-at-4-weeks-old.72603/

Yes, that(Tiny Doors) can work very well, but your chicks maybe be too big for that by now.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/integrating-new-birds-at-4-weeks-old.72603/
Ooh I think most of my chicks would still be small enough at this point. There's one buff/lavender Orpington who might be a tight squeeze as she is getting close to the size of my smallest 14 week old. But my pullets are super chill and I can't see them being a problem. Whenever they are out free ranging and the chicks have been in their chick tractor the pullets have been mildly curious for a bit but that's it. It's the new hens that might be a problem as I'm not entirely sure if their temperaments yet, but they are all full grown so I should be able to make a door they can't get through.

Attachments

• IMG_20210805_144344.jpg
    IMG_20210805_144344.jpg
    895 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20210805_143841.jpg
    IMG_20210805_143841.jpg
    855.1 KB · Views: 8
I was looking at the pic in the post where you asked about the small opening.
Forgot you had smaller ones.
Well they are a little bigger now than they were in the last two pictures. But they're definitely still much smaller than most of my hens/pullets so I think if my husband makes those openings this weekend they could use them for a little bit while they integrate into the main flock. And then still go back in their brooder to sleep for now.

Back
Top Bottom