Integrating new chickens

greylee

In the Brooder
Jan 26, 2023
I have 3 older hens and I'm trying to integrate two pullets and a cockerel into the group.

At first the bullying was really bad so I kept them separated but so they could see each other. Now I've been letting them all free range in my yard but the two groups keep to themselves. Then I put the young ones into a separate temporary coop at night. The young ones are terrified of the older ones so I don't know how to get them all used to each other.

I'd really appreciate tips or advice on this.

Mostly it will take time, and they will have some amount of aggression while the pecking order gets re-established. Still, there are some things you can do to make it smoother.

I have always done the "look don't touch" for a number of weeks and it goes really well. That can be the fence that they live on either side of that nuthatched mentioned. You can also make sure that the areas that they live in have a lot of clutter so when they are fully introduced the small birds have plenty of places to hide. Here is an example.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-cluttered-run.1323792/

You'll notice that there are a lot of feed stations, since that is when the most bullying happens.

Are you still seeing a lot of aggression? If so, at what times?

Have you tried keeping them on either side of a fence?
Yes, I did that for the first two weeks, then I put them all together in the yard. The groups stay on opposite sides of the yard and if the older hens approach the younger ones freak out.

I've been wondering if I should put them all into my run now, but still use separate coops at night. I tried putting them all into the same coop a few nights ago and the young ones freaked out.

Mostly it will take time, and they will have some amount of aggression while the pecking order gets re-established. Still, there are some things you can do to make it smoother.

I have always done the "look don't touch" for a number of weeks and it goes really well. That can be the fence that they live on either side of that nuthatched mentioned. You can also make sure that the areas that they live in have a lot of clutter so when they are fully introduced the small birds have plenty of places to hide. Here is an example.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-cluttered-run.1323792/

You'll notice that there are a lot of feed stations, since that is when the most bullying happens.

Are you still seeing a lot of aggression? If so, at what times?
I wouldn't really call it aggression. It's mostly just the older hens running the younger ones off if they get too close to each other.

I did keep them on different sides of the fence for about two weeks before putting them all into the yard together. There was quite a bit of bullying at first so when I first put them all together I only did it when I was out there to monitor them. Maybe I did it wrong because the younger ones are still frightened of the older ones even though the aggression is very mild now.

Also, the two younger hens are Shetland hens. They are so docile and I can't figure out yet if they're stupid and blind or just blind. Everything freaks them out because they can't see anything. I've been thinking about cutting the feathers around their eyes. I don't know if that's a good idea.

You have three mature hens, an immature cockerel, and two immature pullets. This behavior is what I would expect. Mature hens outrank immature chickens until the immature chickens mature. If the immature chicks invade the personal space of the older ones they are likely to get pecked. It usually doesn't take the chicks long to learn to avoid the adults. Yes, they can be terrified of them, often are.

Just like everything else with chickens, there can be exceptions to this. Sometimes they mingle quite well, no real issues. But I don't expect the exceptions, I expect what I typically see and am grateful when it isn't that bad. And it usually isn't bad at all.

What I typically see is that they form a sub-flock, avoiding the older girls but the older girls not going out of their way to harm them. I try to not force them into tight spaces where they can't avoid the older ones. As long as you don't crowd them it can be very peaceful. If they want to sleep somewhere separate, let them. I don't care where mine sleep as long as it is not in a nest and is somewhere predator safe.

My goal during integration is that no one gets hurt. It is that simple, no one gets hurt. When they mature enough to join the pecking order instead of being at the bottom they will become part of the flock and all that one flock stuff will happen. With my pullets that is typically about the time they start to lay. With a cockerel it could be any time. No signs that I know of other than it just happens.

Back
Top Bottom