Integrating New Chicks into the Flock

pony007

Songster
Oct 2, 2020
Anderson, CA, USA
My Coop
My Coop
I have 10 Brahma's that are 6.5 months old, which is composed of 8 pullets and 2 cockerels. I recently got 13 new chicks (should all be pullets) that are barely 2 weeks old (7 Brahma's, 3 Orpington's, 2 Cochin's, and 1 olive egger). I have never integrated a flock before, so I'm a little unsure of how to go about it, but know i need to start coming up with a plan. The coop that they will all be in is a 8X12 and the attached yard is well over 1200 square feet. The yard is not covered, so i don't want the new chicks out there too soon, so we can avoid hawk attacks. I have an 8X10 dog kennel that I was planning on putting the chicks in around 6-8 weeks, which would be in the yard and i figured i could attach a small coop to that. My question is, when is the best time to introduce the newbies to the old flock? Will the cockerels pose a big problem to the babies?
I'm a complete noob, so any advice would be welcome.

I would introduce them when the chicks are almost adult size. Also, You should do it at night so it doesn't stress out the other birds.

I have an 8X10 dog kennel that I was planning on putting the chicks in around 6-8 weeks, which would be in the yard and i figured i could attach a small coop to that.
Excellent basic plan. In Northern California and inland a bit I'm not sure what your weather will be like in a few weeks. Without knowing that I'd probably target 6 weeks, not 8. They should be able to handle that weather.

My question is, when is the best time to introduce the newbies to the old flock?
My brooder is also in the coop so the chicks pretty much grow up with the flock. My brooder-raised chicks are typically roaming with the flock at 5 weeks. With my brooder in the coop my best time is right after hatch. Your best time, if you are not brooding out there, is as soon as their age and the weather allows. That does not mean they are roaming together, it means look but don't touch. Let them get used to each other across wire as young as you can.

There are a lot of different techniques we use for the actual introduction. You have a fair amount of room, which should really help. I haven't followed Aart's link recently, but she usually has good ideas.

Will the cockerels pose a big problem to the babies?
You never know with living animals, but the pullets are just as likely to be a problem as the boys if not more likely. You always have to watch them but if you take it slow and easy it is usually pretty good. You have a fair amount of room, which is a great help.

I often have three or four different ages of pullets and cockerels with the adult flock. The older pullets or cockerels are hardly ever a problem. Neither are the adults. I have a lot of room, more than you outside, and also an 8x12 coop. I think as long as you are patient you'll be OK. Just don't feel like you have to force them to be together, let them manage that at their own pace.

I appreciate the replies, they have been quite helpful!
After reading those articles, I think I might actually modify a spot in the current coop to house the little ones at 5 to 6 weeks, then I can still have a heat lamp should they need it. I don't really have an extra door for them to go outside however.. So do you guys think it would be too stressful on the little guys to transfer them into the dog run during the days, and back into their little enclosure in the coop at night? This would probably go on for a week or 2 until I'm/they're ready to co-mingle with the rest of the flock.

So do you guys think it would be too stressful on the little guys to transfer them into the dog run during the days, and back into their little enclosure in the coop at night? This would probably go on for a week or 2 until I'm/they're ready to co-mingle with the rest of the flock.

That should be fine at the start, for "see but don't touch" period, so they can acclimate to one another without having contact.

then I can still have a heat lamp should they need it.
Two things on this. If you do use a heat lamp use wire or chain to hold it in place. Do not use that clamp that comes with it, that clamp can fail or be knocked loose. Do not use string or plastic that can burn or melt, use wire or chain. That should reduce the danger from fire tremendously.

My 3' x 6' brooder is in the coop. I use a heat lamp to keep one end warm enough when it is below freezing but it is big enough so that the far end cools down enough when the temperatures get warm. To me, the temperature swings are the hardest part about brooding outside. I've seen it go from below freezing to the 70's overnight. I find that chicks straight from the incubator are very good about finding their comfort zone when given the option.

I've had chicks 5-1/2 weeks old go through nights in the mid 20's Fahrenheit with no supplemental heat. The coop they were in had great ventilation up high and great wind protection down low where they were, so the coop plays a part in that. But they were also acclimated after being raised in that big brooder in the coop. Some mornings I'd find ice in the far corner of their coop but the end they were on was toasty. They play in the cold and return to the heat when they need to warm up. It's not as simple as a certain age and a certain temperature, there are other factors like acclimation, ventilation, and wind protection. But 5-1/2 weeks and below freezing, They can be pretty tough once they feather out.

So do you guys think it would be too stressful on the little guys to transfer them into the dog run during the days, and back into their little enclosure in the coop at night?
Not stressful on them, maybe on you. What you might do to acclimate them is to take them outside when it is cold during the day or evening and expose them to the cold well before 5 or 6 weeks. Keep them out of a wind and watch them. They will let you know if they start to get cold. To me, there are several benefits to this. They get acclimated. You see how well they handle cold for yourself so it should help your confidence tremendously. And it exposes them to their future environment. They will peck at the ground if they can. If that is in the run they will get grit in their system, they will get probiotics from the adults, and it will strengthen their immune system by exposing them to any flock immunities they need to work on. I'd much prefer them to be exposed to those things while they are still in the brooder because it is so much easier to observe them in case there are issues. I believe in this so strongly that I start feeding my brooder-raised chicks dirt from the run on the second or third day in the brooder and repeat every three or four days. I keep my brooder very dry and have never had issues.

I understand you are worried, you should be. Bad things can possibly happen. But with your planning and the room you have I think you will find this to be a good experience.

Two things on this. If you do use a heat lamp use wire or chain to hold it in place. Do not use that clamp that comes with it, that clamp can fail or be knocked loose. Do not use string or plastic that can burn or melt, use wire or chain. That should reduce the danger from fire tremendously.
For sure! I have a chain that I'd be planning on using. The days are getting warmer here, so I'd probably only be thinking about using the heat lamp at night.

What you might do to acclimate them is to take them outside when it is cold during the day or evening and expose them to the cold well before 5 or 6 weeks. Keep them out of a wind and watch them. They will let you know if they start to get cold.
I was thinking about doing that too, starting this weekend. Its supposed to be in the upper 70's so should be decent enough for 3 week olds. I had planned on setting up the dog run in the big pen, and letting them run around there. The other chickens will get to see them a little bit too. Should make for a fun day.

They will peck at the ground if they can. If that is in the run they will get grit in their system, they will get probiotics from the adults, and it will strengthen their immune system by exposing them to any flock immunities they need to work on. I'd much prefer them to be exposed to those things while they are still in the brooder because it is so much easier to observe them in case there are issues.
Interesting, I hadn't thought about that but it makes a lot of sense! I'll have to bring in some sand from the run so they can play in it. Hopefully they'll have just as much fun rolling in the sand as they do in their crumbles lol.

Thank you for all the insightful recommendations, they are very helpful!

Had the little chicks out for their first ever field trip outside today and it went great! The chicks never seemed cold at all, even with a cool breeze going. They found all sorts of goodies in the pen. One little dark Brahma (Shippo) even found a huge caterpillar, and was trying to get everyone to chase her for it. Soo Cute!

The older chickens even got to see the little ones, and were very very interested. I was worried that my barred rock was going to want to attack the little ones, but she didn't even peck the fence.. In fact nobody did. Hopfully these are good indicators that the integration process wont be too bad with the big guys.

Attachments

• 20210327_132543.jpg
    20210327_132543.jpg
    922.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 20210327_143010.jpg
    20210327_143010.jpg
    972.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 20210327_143102.jpg
    20210327_143102.jpg
    808.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 20210327_144505.jpg
    20210327_144505.jpg