Integrating new hens

katssmilin

Songster
12 Years
Jul 5, 2011
My question is how long does it take for the hens to establish their pecking order when integrated?
We had 6 red sex links about 22 weeks old that were just starting to lay. We purchased 6 black austrolorps that were 11 weeks old. We sectioned off the run with clear plastic and had the red ones on the side with the coop and the black ones on the other side with a make shift coop. They were seperated for about 6 weeks but could still see and hear each other. We sold 3 of the red ones and proceeded to take down the plastic and put them all together. It seems as though there is a lot of chasing and pecking. I realize they need to establish their order just wondering how long it will take. I am monitoring them to make sure they each get to eat and drink. The black ones are sleeping out in the run (they always have they wouldn't use the coop we had set up for them).

My question is how long does it take for the hens to establish their pecking order when integrated?
We had 6 red sex links about 22 weeks old that were just starting to lay. We purchased 6 black austrolorps that were 11 weeks old. We sectioned off the run with clear plastic and had the red ones on the side with the coop and the black ones on the other side with a make shift coop. They were seperated for about 6 weeks but could still see and hear each other. We sold 3 of the red ones and proceeded to take down the plastic and put them all together. It seems as though there is a lot of chasing and pecking. I realize they need to establish their order just wondering how long it will take. I am monitoring them to make sure they each get to eat and drink. The black ones are sleeping out in the run (they always have they wouldn't use the coop we had set up for them).
It may take a few weeks. I integrated a few chicks in 1.5 months ago. Even when they sre settled in, they may still peck eachother. As long as no one is getting hurt, its fine. Just make sure they sre eating and drinking as well as have places to hide. My EEs were bullied as chicks and now that they have grown up they peck others.

As long as the younger ones can eat and drink and no one is getting physically injured, then you're doing fine.

The younger birds will not fully integrate in until they begin laying. Pecking order is a fluid thing, so it can change over time. Especially as the younger ones get older some of them may begin challenging the older birds and passing them in ranking.

As long as the younger ones can eat and drink and no one is getting physically injured, then you're doing fine.

The younger birds will not fully integrate in until they begin laying. Pecking order is a fluid thing, so it can change over time. Especially as the younger ones get older some of them may begin challenging the older birds and passing them in ranking.
Thank You

It may take a few weeks. I integrated a few chicks in 1.5 months ago. Even when they sre settled in, they may still peck eachother. As long as no one is getting hurt, its fine. Just make sure they sre eating and drinking as well as have places to hide. My EEs were bullied as chicks and now that they have grown up they peck others.
Thank You

Back
Top Bottom