Integrating new pullets with same age existing pullets

Mosaicgal

In the Brooder
May 31, 2020
I have a 13 week barred rock and welsomer which were raised as chicks. Since we had to rehome 2 surprise Roos, we just got 4 new pullets to back fill, also 13 weeks old and similar size. These new guys have not had any people interaction so they are very skittish I have one group of pullets locked in on one side of my run, and the news gals are on the other. They spend a lot of time staring at each other through wire but have not been able to interact much. TodaY I let them all out on grass together, the old and new, and they wanted nothing to do with each other. How long should I keep them separated?. It’s been 6 days already. Any other tips?

Keep doing what your are doing. It takes time for the two flocks to meld into one.

Let them roost separately, with coops open, to forage during the day together. It takes a bit, averaging about a week typically, until some brave soul ventures into the other group. Then in time you look up and they've integrated.

How long that takes is totally up to the temperament of the birds.

Be sure to put out plenty of feed and water stations so that nobody can get hazed or cut off. That will help keep conflicts down which will in turn help with integration.

ETA: Another trick is to place the new birds on the roost at night with the older flock. That can work well, or simply create a lot of frightened newbies cowering in a corner in the morning if you have anyone with an assertive temperament in the old flock. If they have plenty of hiding places, that can hasten integration, but the open range method produces the least friction imho.

LofMc

I have a 13 week barred rock and welsomer which were raised as chicks. Since we had to rehome 2 surprise Roos, we just got 4 new pullets to back fill, also 13 weeks old and similar size. These new guys have not had any people interaction so they are very skittish I have one group of pullets locked in on one side of my run, and the news gals are on the other. They spend a lot of time staring at each other through wire but have not been able to interact much. TodaY I let them all out on grass together, the old and new, and they wanted nothing to do with each other. How long do I keep them separated in the run??. It’s been 6 days already. Any other tips? They are close in size and age.

Here's some more tips about.....
Integration Basics:
It's all about territory and resources(space/food/water).
Existing birds will almost always attack new ones to defend their resources.
Understanding chicken behaviors is essential to integrating new birds into your flock.

Confine new birds within sight but physically segregated from older/existing birds for several weeks, so they can see and get used to each other but not physically interact.

In adjacent runs, spread scratch grains along the dividing mesh, best if mesh is just big enough for birds to stick their head thru, so they get used to eating together.

The more space, the better.
Birds will peck to establish dominance, the pecked bird needs space to get away. As long as there's no copious blood drawn and/or new bird is not trapped/pinned down and beaten unmercilessly, let them work it out. Every time you interfere or remove new birds, they'll have to start the pecking order thing all over again.

Multiple feed/water stations. Dominance issues are most often carried out over sustenance, more stations lessens the frequency of that issue.

Places for the new birds to hide 'out of line of sight'(but not a dead end trap) and/or up and away from any bully birds. Roosts, pallets or boards leaned up against walls or up on concrete blocks, old chairs tables, branches, logs, stumps out in the run can really help. Lots of diversion and places to 'hide' instead of bare wide open run.
Good ideas for hiding places:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-cluttered-run.1323792/

Keep doing what your are doing. It takes time for the two flocks to meld into one.

Let them roost separately, with coops open, to forage during the day together. It takes a bit, averaging about a week typically, until some brave soul ventures into the other group. Then in time you look up and they've integrated.

Be sure to put out plenty of feed and water stations so that nobody can get hazed or cut off. That will help keep conflicts down which will in turn help with integration.

ETA: Another trick is to place the new birds on the roost at night with the older flock. That can work well, or simply create a lot of frightened newbies cowering in a corner in the morning if you have anyone with an assertive temperament in the old flock. If they have plenty of hiding places, that can hasten integration, but the open range method produces the least friction imho.

LofMc
T

LofMc
[/QUOTE

Back
Top Bottom