Integrating new rooster into a flock with older rooster

pattenmom11

Hatching
Jul 4, 2023
My daughter had a rooster and didn't want him so I said I would take him. We already have a mature rooster. He was hurt and limps, but is a beautiful and gentle rooster. I want to integrate the new young rooster into the flock but don't want chaos. I don't want the older rooster to think he has been replaced and end up with fights. Any advice you can give will be greatly appreciated. We have had chickens for many years.

:welcome Depending on the age of the cockerel, the temperament of the rooster, the amount of space and hens available, it is very likely that they will eventually fight. It's a rooster's way of assuring that his DNA gets to carry on.

My daughter had a rooster and didn't want him so I said I would take him. We already have a mature rooster. He was hurt and limps, but is a beautiful and gentle rooster. I want to integrate the new young rooster into the flock but don't want chaos. I don't want the older rooster to think he has been replaced and end up with fights. Any advice you can give will be greatly appreciated. We have had chickens for many years.
I have 2 free ranging roosters I need to integrate with an older/gentler bigger Americana roo also. Hoping now that they arent so young and full of “vim & vigor” it will be easier. I have more hens now too so 4 roosters might have less tention. 😬 I could use advice too.

There are possible outcomes, and it will depend on both the roosters and lesser but still important the space.

They could ignore each other but that is not probable .

One will be dominant, they will fight to figure that out. That may settle it, they may continue to fight, some will kill each other. They don’t call it cock fighting for nothing.

If you don’t want fighting and chaos, don’t add the new rooster.

Roosters will fight to establish dominance. If you are not able to tolerate any fighting it's best not to add roosters.
Depending on the personalities of the roos the fighting could be mild or it could even be deadly.

I keep several roos. When dominance is being worked out The birds need space such as free ranging would provide. They need hiding places as well. They also need to be allowed to finish the fight. Ideally one rooster gives up and allows the other to win. He does this by running away and possibly hiding. My birds will sometimes roost to get out of the way and say I give up. The process usually takes a few battles. After a bit a good dominant roo may allow the subordinate to be part of the group again, but it takes time.

It won't work if neither rooster is willing to give up or the winning rooster does not allow the loser to retreat (or there is not sufficient space for a retreat)

And it might be the rooster that you have now (and like?) that loses.
The two free-ranger roos grew up with the big ole Lavender Americana, but were too “rambunctious” for the 7 remaining hens. We have since added a few dozen pullets (one turned out to be a little roo 🙄). We want to put them all together now that the hens are all getting mature. They dance along the fence everyday, and my Ayam Ketawa (laughing rooster) breaks in most days in the afternoon and the Lavender Americana sequesters the ladies in the coop. We love all of them- while I am partial to JuJuBee the giggling rooster, I am equally worried of him free-ranging and getting taken by a coyote. What to do… 🥹

Attachments

• IMG_8285.jpeg
    IMG_8285.jpeg
    396.9 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom