Integrating older birds with young flock

Papa d Jet

Hatching
5 Years
May 20, 2014
We recently started our flock with ten chicks, four varieties. About the same time we started our flock, a pair of red tailed hawks moved into a tall pine tree on our property. Based on information on this site, we decided it was a good idea to get a roosteer for predator protection. We picked up a Light Sussex trio, a rooster and two hens that are 8 months old. Last night we tried to introduce them to the flock late at night as recommended in other posts. When the door to the run came up, the existing hens went into the run. The new birds stayed in the coop and wouldn't come out. We moved them into the run to show them where their food and water was. The old hens immediately started to peck on our pullets. Any suggestions?

images

Welcome to BYC!

Contrary to what people think, chickens are too smart to sneak birds into a flock at night. They all know each member of their flock very well and will know there are newbies in the flock come morning. And since there is a pecking order, you can not just throw new birds into an existing flock without chaos, blood shed and even death can occur.

So you need to put these new birds a cage or behind a fence but within the flock at all times. Everybody sees, nobody touches. Leave them this way for about 3 weeks. This will allow the existing flock to work out some of the pecking order from behind wire. Come mixing day, things should go fairly smooth. Always watch closely that first day and the rest of that week and always intervene if it turns bloody.

If these new pullets are not at least 3 1/3 months old, they will need to be kept separate until the are of this age and mix as described above when they are older.

Roosters will not necessarily protect your flock from any predators. If you free range, you must be prepared for losses. A predator proof run and coop is the only real protection.

Enjoy this new adventure you are on and welcome to our flock!

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! X2 what TwoCrows suggested and integrate them slowly. The just putting them in the coop at night really only works if you have a really big flock where new comers don't stick out. I wouldn't count on roosters like a Sussex being protection against a RT, they may help as something of an early warning system but a RT who knows chickens are dinner won't have much trouble with a regular rooster. You might want to check out the Predator forum, there are a lot of hawk threads www.backyardchickens.com/f/13/predators-and-pests

Appreciate your help. We do realize the rooster won't deter the hawks but we were hoping for early warning signs.

If you cover the run even with just deer netting it should keep hawks out. They don't care to risk damage to their wings, or some predator will end up taking the hawk.

Just the advice I was looking for thank you!
I had 3 hens of 12wks old a few months or so ago ago, they were great until 2 wks ago when one started crowing! Yes 'she' was a 'he' and not welcome in my edge of town area. So Monday of this week I had to returned my beautiful black Orp to the poultry farm :( and they gave me a 12wk old Buff Orp in replacement.

My 2 hens were very vocal and made it clear they weren't happy, but on advice from the breeder she was placed in the coop at night and they are fine with that. But they still don't like her being out, so by day she has half the coop run fenced off while they free range all day but can still get into the coop to lay.
5 days in and I have just sat her on my lap in the garden, straight away my Bluebell came over to see and pecked a load of feathers out in one swoop! Clearly they are not ready to accept her. Now I understand it is going to take longer ... *sigh*!

Thanks for your advice! x

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

X3 the intro at night time doesn't work unless you have a huge flock. It's much easier to introduce using the "see but don't touch" method. Do this for as long as you can (two-four weeks preferably) and then let them mix slowly. Make sure to provide extra feeders, waterers and hideaways.

Back
Top Bottom