Integrating older hens in with younger hen and Roo

Gabrielle1313

In the Brooder
Aug 2, 2017
I have one Rhode Island Red hen who is almost 6 months. I am thinking of getting two more older hens and getting rid of two of the three roosters I have that were all raised together. It's almost winter, and I want the new hens to be able to be in the same coop with my roo and hen together without issues because some days they might have to stay inside all day. Plus it's my first time owning chickens and I don't know how to integrate the hens in with the other two. What can I do to ensure that they will fine together and not fight? P.S they are free range. Help:confused::barnie

So if I have the numbers right, you now have 3 roosters and 1 RIR hen? All at 6 months of age?

Yes...you need to get rid of 2 roosters and add some hens if you are keeping a roo.

You can get some older hens, but older hens bring health risks. Usually you should quarantine any bird (other than hatchery chick) for 2 weeks to 1 month to prevent transmission of disease to your flock.

The safest method of adding more hens is to get chicks and raise them. However, I understand a desire for more hens as you seemed to have gotten 3 roos and only 1 hen in your chick purchase.

So it depends on your ability to adapt to loss vs your need for more hens. If you go to a reputable breeder, and the birds look healthy, you can purchase pullets or young hens and after a quarantine, integrate by allowing some fence observation time for a few days. Then you can let them free range together.

Usually after about a week they are roosting together. Chances are, your rooster will simply adopt the hens and keep everyone in line....unless he is a jerk.

Another trick is to integrate by placing them in the roost at night. Usually they wake up much calmer together, especially if they have seen each other through a netted fence for a few days. Again, if the rooster is a good boy, he'll integrate everyone and keep the peace....unless he is still too teen hormonal...then he can be a jerk, so you might have to isolate him until the hens settle.

Usually a good ratio is 10 hens to 1 rooster, however, with some flocks a smaller ratio works.

LofMc

Back
Top Bottom