Integrating our new hen - not going well!

I'm going to disagree about bringing in a new friend for Audrey. You don't know how THOSE two are going to interact and it could create a whole new issue!. It takes time for a new bird to become one of the flock. It sounds like Audrey has a place of her own in the run, where she can be seen and recognized. Make it bigger if you think she needs more room, and keep her in there for at least 2 weeks. I think the best way at night would be to put her in a crate in the old coop, so they see her but you don't have to worry about injuries if you're not there all the time. If you can free-range them together, do so as much as you can. They will eventually get along! have patience. In the future, you can bring in at least 2 hens (that know each other) so they can keep each other company during this process. Good luck!

ETA--chickens are especially b****y and territorial when they are starting laying! So things should improve.

Last edited:
I feel for you. I just introduced my 4 19 week old buff orpingtons to my 2 older brahma mixes. oh they are something. the Brahma chase the younger ones part of the time but don't seem to really hurt them. I let them sleep seperate at this time but they can see each other well. I hope this does not last too long I want to clean the smaller coop. I will be getting some new bittys and I want the run and coop as sterile as possible in the next few weeks. Lime in the run and clorox for the coop. New sand in there too and new chips for them when they are 2 or three weeks old. I am so excited. Jean

I'm going to disagree about bringing in a new friend for Audrey. You don't know how THOSE two are going to interact and it could create a whole new issue!. It takes time for a new bird to become one of the flock.

Yes, I was worried that someone might say that!

It's just so much hard work at the moment, having to herd them into the separate run areas in the morning and then trying to sneak Audrey into the coop at night (quite a small coop, so no room for a crate to separate her I'm afraid). Then there's the fact that we daren't leave it too long after dawn to open the pop hole, as once the girls can see Audrey they start to peck her. So, I'm taking almost 30 minutes each morning and evening to sort the girls out, and also having to get up before dawn to make sure she's not going to get harmed inside the coop. It's completely impossible to go on like this for another fortnight and we're too scared to leave Audrey to fend for herself every day while we both go to work.

The new bird would be from Audrey's original pen at the breeder's - but do you think she will have forgotten about her previous flock-mates in a fortnight?

Oh, and good to hear that Bella will soon calm down, once she gets used to the idea that she's started laying. Just our luck that she laid her first egg the day Audrey arrived!​

Quote:
Yes, I was worried that someone might say that!

It's just so much hard work at the moment, having to herd them into the separate run areas in the morning and then trying to sneak Audrey into the coop at night (quite a small coop, so no room for a crate to separate her I'm afraid). Then there's the fact that we daren't leave it too long after dawn to open the pop hole, as once the girls can see Audrey they start to peck her. So, I'm taking almost 30 minutes each morning and evening to sort the girls out, and also having to get up before dawn to make sure she's not going to get harmed inside the coop. It's completely impossible to go on like this for another fortnight and we're too scared to leave Audrey to fend for herself every day while we both go to work.

The new bird would be from Audrey's original pen at the breeder's - but do you think she will have forgotten about her previous flock-mates in a fortnight?

Oh, and good to hear that Bella will soon calm down, once she gets used to the idea that she's started laying. Just our luck that she laid her first egg the day Audrey arrived!

She is probably lonely and will imprint on almost any bird you bring in and after a day or two alone the new bird should be feeling lonely for company too. I believe they have a memory at least mine seem to anyway. If she is getting harassed in the coop use a large plastic tote for her in the run, just make sure to drill plenty of air holes at the bottom and top, otherwise she will suffocate, line the bottom with straw or wood chips. You can also use a upside down plastic garbage can with a perch pushed through a couple holes then you only have to set it down over the top of her. Again plenty of air holes. Once she is accepted the temporary coops can be saved if needed later.

Thanks everyone for the advice!

I think that, having watched them chase Audrey today even when they were out free ranging (which is something they haven't bothered doing before) and had an awful time trying to get her in the coop tonight (Bella was keeping an evil-eyed guard and sitting right on the perch where I have been placing Audrey to sleep - even though she ALWAYS sleeps in the left-hand nest box usually), I'm going to give up.

Audrey is going into the new run and coop on her own tomorrow, and on Wednesday I'm going to try and get a day's annual leave from work and go fetch her a little friend, as she must be getting painfully lonely right now. The current situation with the older girls just seems to be getting worse, not better.

Bella is being more and more vile to her every day, and I think it's only a matter of time before there's a real injury. It's playing havoc with my nerves, as I spend all my time after they've all gone to bed fretting about the poor little mite!

I have a rabbit hutch that I converted to a chicken tractor, also used as a jail and a brooder. I had a very aggressive hen. I put her in jail for a few days with feed and water. She quit jumping on the younger birds and pecking them and pulling out their feathers, but she still chases them sometimes. Now they all roost together. There are pictures on my BYC Page.

After all that heartache, I'm now off to pick up a New Best Friend for Audrey. I had her out free ranging with the two big girls just now and they pecked and grabbed at her every time she got anywhere near, so I'm convinced that separating them (for now) was the right thing to do. Audrey has been on her own in a coop and run that's far too big for her for the last two days, so she most definitely needs some (friendly) company.

Let's hope that New Best Friend actually likes Audrey - or I'm about to open up a whole new can of worms!

Wish me luck...
roll.png

Arrrrgghhh! We brought New Best Friend Deirdre home today, and the (previously bullied) meek and mild Audrey has spent the entire day chasing her, jumping on her back and trying to grab feathers! She's also constantly making that awful low cawing sound which translates to 'I want to kill the newcomer'. It's pitiful to watch. Deirdre already has a cut above her beak from running into a wall trying to get away, and looks completely terror stricken.

At dusk we went out to shut the pop hole and there was an almightly row going on in the coop. My hubbie simply dropped the door closed and walked away.

Am completely fed up now. Chickens are no fun whatsoever
sad.png

Seriously thinking about taking the whole lot of 'em back to the breeder.

Quote:
Relax, it takes a few days. She probably got used to being alone. And sometimes the bullied becomes a bully when newbie comes in. YOU may have to become the bully. Find a pecking stick and start pecking the offender on the butt LIGHTLY. After a little time they will only need to see the stick to get the message.

Back
Top Bottom