Integrating pullets safely into chicken coop without getting crushed? (lots of details in post)

Thought: that fan will be a future raging inferno.

Is there a way to attach/include the pullets' coop to their run?
We clean it constantly and remove it, but I absolutely agree it can be a fire hazard that I am always cognizant of! But actually, we were thinking of just putting the little coop into the run. The run is made of PVC and is easily lifted (by humans) so we can put the small coop inside of it.

Sorry, I wasn't able to get pictures last night, but here is what the set up looks like! Basically the big chickies get free run of the backyard and coop, and the little chickies are in this 6'x10' run during the day, and we will let them out to free range with the big chickens while we are supervising. You can see how close they all are and have had this interaction for at least 3 weeks. No fights or attacks, but the head hen does want to charge the little ones due to what appears resource guarding like you said. I forgot to get a picture of their dog crate inside so I can get that too, but it's just a dog kennel with flock fresh bedding, a roosting bar and food and water, about 2'x4'. They are only in the kennel for about an hour right before going to bed. I tried to show my hand for spacing of the roosting bars in the coop. Perhaps I can reangle them somehow?
Thanks for photos - I was under the impression that the coop and run were attached and they aren't, so much of my earlier advice about just leaving the pop door open to the run won't work.

Roosts look too stacked, though I know photos can make it confusing - you want something more like 14-16" horizontally between them or birds on the bottom can get pooped on.

Thanks for photos - I was under the impression that the coop and run were attached and they aren't, so much of my earlier advice about just leaving the pop door open to the run won't work.

Roosts look too stacked, though I know photos can make it confusing - you want something more like 14-16" horizontally between them or birds on the bottom can get pooped on.
Ok, I think I can definitely maneuver them around or reconstruct the positioning so they have more space at nighttime. There is probably only 6" of horizontal space right now. I can move the lower roosting bar forward, towards the front door, and create a ramp combination from the top bar down to the lower and then to the floor? I've been wanting to do something like that anyways for the larger girls, since I don't like them hopping down so far at their age and weights. What do you think??

Ok, I think I can definitely maneuver them around or reconstruct the positioning so they have more space at nighttime. There is probably only 6" of horizontal space right now. I can move the lower roosting bar forward, towards the front door, and create a ramp combination from the top bar down to the lower and then to the floor? I've been wanting to do something like that anyways for the larger girls, since I don't like them hopping down so far at their age and weights. What do you think??
Doesn't hurt to try that, especially since you were already considering it. Don't know if they'll use the ramps since they're not used to them but even if they don't you can just remove them and save them for use elsewhere.

Back
Top Bottom