integrating pullets with older hens.

Laurie11111

Chirping
Apr 16, 2021
I got two new pullets that are 11 and 12 weeks old. My four older hens are all two years old. The hen that is at the bottom of the pecking order is really wanting to kill the pullets. The other three hens are totally fine around the little ones but the Bielefelder who is at the bottom is just relentless. Charging at them and puffing up and "growling" at them. Does anyone have any suggestions for getting this grumpy girl to tolerate the new pullets? I keep them safe in a partitioned off area in the run so there is no direct contact with the grumpy one.

How long have you been doing see but no touch? What does your set up look like? Plenty of room, hiding spots, multiple feeders? It's normal for bottom ranked birds to be harshest on newcomers, but as long as she's not drawing blood or preventing them from eating, I don't consider it a problem.

How long have you been doing see but no touch? What does your set up look like? Plenty of room, hiding spots, multiple feeders? It's normal for bottom ranked birds to be harshest on newcomers, but as long as she's not drawing blood or preventing them from eating, I don't consider it a problem.
We have been doing see don't touch for two weeks. I am thinking that my one grumpy hen just needs more time to acclimate to the new littles.I do have mult feeders as the little ones are not heavy enough yet for the treadle feeder. The one time that she was in contact with them she pounced on the 12 week old and was able to pull out several feathers. I started to give her some rescue remedy to hopefully calm her down a little bit.

Two weeks is good. Pulling out a few feathers isn't too severe. If it's a repeated issue (to where the chicks are patchy from it) then I'd consider that a problem.

Otherwise, just make sure there's plenty of clutter to break up line of sight: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-cluttered-run.1323792/page-6#post-25037140 Especially helpful is if there's anything the younger ones can go on TOP of, as I find older birds to be a little less inclined to go up to chase a younger one.

Back
Top Bottom