Integrating single cockerel into large flock - tips?

BarnyardChaos

Free Ranging
7 Years
Apr 23, 2017
Richmond, MO
I have a single American Bresse cockerel 14-weeks that needs to be integrated into my main flock, and I need some sound advice on how to best manage it with the least risk of injury to him.

I have 46 hens and pullets, from 16 weeks to 3 years, in this flock - plus 2 roosters, 1 year and 2 years old. They are all hybrids of various heritage breeds - BPR, RIR, Black Australorp, EE, Araucana, and Leghorn. My two roosters get along famously with each other and are not aggressive to humans nor any of the hens. However, the younger rooster is fond of chasing cockerels around the run.

My coop is an old converted camper, 165 sq ft, that has a screen door divider wall across the middle, separating it into two halves. It is raised on blocks in the center of a large run, about 2000 sq ft, with lots of obstructions and hiding places. The back part of the coop with roosting bars and nesting boxes has a pop-door and ramp into the run. The front part of the coop has a couple of small roosts, feed barrels, and the entry door to the coop. No pop-door or access to the run, except through the back part of the coop if I open the dividing screen door.

I've integrated groups of pullets and cockerels into the main flock via this front part of the coop as a see-don't-touch area for several days, then opening the dividing screen door. It has worked well in the past and my youngest pullets tend to still hang out in the roosting and nesting area, as I keep food and water in there for them. But they do go in and out the pop door throughout the day and mingle in the run with no problems.

But this time, I've just got ONE to integrate. Does anyone have any special tips?

That is a challenge. Any hens feisty enough to thump the new one for being presumptuous while calm enough to relax around him and NOT the other roos favorites?

Edit: obviously, I'm thinking put him AND a few girls together in the look but don't touch area. Give them several days-a week together before letting the touch happen. When to let the touch happen would depend upon the ladies and his interactions.

That is a challenge. Any hens feisty enough to thump the new one for being presumptuous while calm enough to relax around him and NOT the other roos favorites?

Edit: obviously, I'm thinking put him AND a few girls together in the look but don't touch area. Give them several days-a week together before letting the touch happen. When to let the touch happen would depend upon the ladies and his interactions.
I had considered whether that might be a good approach, but with some of the pullets who haven't bonded with a rooster yet. I don't know about the older hens; there are too many of them and honestly I don't know who's attached to whom.

I had considered whether that might be a good approach, but with some of the pullets who haven't bonded with a rooster yet. I don't know about the older hens; there are too many of them and honestly I don't know who's attached to whom.
Watch for a couple of days. The ones that stay close to the other roos are theirs. The ones that avoid the roos are good candidates. If you can put a couple of 2-3 year old hens with the young one, then when they hang out along side him at breakfast is a good indicator to let them mingle more.

Watch for a couple of days. The ones that stay close to the other roos are theirs. The ones that avoid the roos are good candidates. If you can put a couple of 2-3 year old hens with the young one, then when they hang out along side him at breakfast is a good indicator to let them mingle more.
I can do that. There's plenty of time and space to handle it. It may take me a few days to figure out which hens to choose - but thank goodness they don't all look alike!

You don't think that young pullets, who haven't been chosen by a rooster yet, are candidates? They are 20 weeks and 16 weeks. He is 14 weeks.

This is the cockerel in question. (Those pullets in the photo and another cockerel have been separated into another pen, in hopes of making a breeding flock by springtime.)
Sam, here, is the spare roo:
1686954354080.png

I'd consider selling him instead, if that would be best for his welfare.

This is Goldie, the flockmaster who rules the roost. He's 3 years old, very attentive to his ladies, and such a gentleman:
1686954574450.png

And this is Roofuss, the young prince of the flock. He is 14 months old and also a gentleman. His tail was injured in a fight with an opossum last fall, and there is some scar tissue. He is one of the best all-around roosters I've ever had:
1686954929114.png

I easily identified my three oldest hens tonight (3 years, 1 BPR and 2 RIR's), hanging on the periphery of Goldie and his 'favorites'. I do recall now that they were flockmates of an older rooster who had to be culled last year due to injury. They don't show any signs on their backs of being mated recently, or at least it's minimal. I'll keep watching for a couple of days more to be sure.

And this is exactly why I put colored bands on all of my chickens, to easily determine their age and flockmates.

Back
Top Bottom