Integrating small numbers

chickencheeper

Free Ranging
6 Years
Jun 4, 2017
Massachusetts
My Coop
My Coop
hello, we currently have 6 5 birds(my first death yesterday) and the rest of the fam is open to more chickens but they only want 3 more, is the integration really going to be a nightmare? Or should we get 6(the feed store minimum and what I want) more? How would we go about integrating them, we have another run in the making that will be connected to the original via Chunnel(chicken tunnel) would that be a good pen for them to live in during the integration. Thanks

Integrating at a young age is a great idea.Keeping then separated for the first few weeks is a good idea.By four months I would add them together.I seriously doubt you will have any serious issues.Tehre might be a fight or two or nine at all but I wouldn’t worry.

Integrating at a young age is a great idea.Keeping then separated for the first few weeks is a good idea.By four months I would add them together.I seriously doubt you will have any serious issues.Tehre might be a fight or two or nine at all but I wouldn’t worry.
Would 3 hens be doable and fine for them? Would it be to stressful? Would 6 hens be better

Depends on how you feel,would you be satisfied with just three or are to interested in more?Its not going to be stressful at all really because the birds will be able to see each other for so long.Once added they will all probably look as if they have been together for years,maybe a few pecks here and there but that’s probably gonna be your only issue,and even if it does become a stressful process their gonna be stressed regardless of the amount of birds.I will be honest,your probably stressing more right now then the birds will when they meet.Can I see your coop and run size?How big is it all?

Back
Top Bottom