Integrating the new ones

TexasNovice

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 6, 2011
I have 2 one and half year old Red Sex linked hens. This week I added 3 four month olds of the same breed. They are not killing each other but the 2 originals aggressively defend their territory. The new ones huddle together scared. Will this taper off where they will become "friends".

Thanks to all of you experts. This is the first time I have added chickens .

It will get better with time. They may never be buddy buddies. But if the older ones are not being aggressive now, it will settle down.

The pecking order should smooth out in a couple of weeks. Also, the new ones are in a scary new place, besides being picked on. As long as there is no blood, you can let things go as they are and the younger ones will feel better eventually. If there is blood, you will need to remove the older ones until the younger get established, or put pinless peepers on the older hens. I've had older hens literally peck a pullet to death in one night, so watch closely for signs of blood.

Introducing birds of different ages can be really tricky, so keep a close eye on them. We do it over a full month, and still sometimes have trouble.

Thanks you experts for your help. It is great that you are willing to share with us beginners.

Back
Top Bottom