Integrating Two Flocks

CrossedSabers

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 17, 2013
I have 13 straight run 10 week old Golden Laced Cochins and took in 11 hens (several different, but docile breeds) of approximately the same age from a neighbor. All of the birds went into the coop at the same time. This was nearly two weeks ago and the two flocks are not co-mingling. They've stayed as two separate flocks. The 11 hens from the neighbor have staked out their territory in the run. They won't let the 13 Cochins into the run. The Cochins stay inside the coop all the time.

Both flocks roost inside the coop. All 11 of the hens from the neighbor roost on the perches. Only one of the Cochins does. The others sit on the ground in the coop.

The coop is 10' x 12' and the run is 12' x 12'. There's lots of room for every one. I have food and water both inside the coop and outside in the run. There are 4 roosting perches that run along the entire 10 foot wall of the coop. Again, lots of room for everyone.

Any suggestions for helping the two flocks blend? How about ways to get the flock of hens who hang out in the run to allow the other flock outside too? And should I be worried that the Cochins aren't roosting at this age?

Many thanks!

chickens will be chickens as long as they arent hurting each other they are ok you could try putting the food in the middle of one territory one day then the other the next just make sure they wont fight.

chickens will be chickens as long as they arent hurting each other they are ok you could try putting the food in the middle of one territory one day then the other the next just make sure they wont fight.
Oh, I know...I'm happy they're not trying to kill each other. However, it can get hot inside the coop, even with a fan going. It would be so much healthier for the Cochins if they were allowed out into the run where it's cooler and there are nice breezes.

i just introduced 6-7 week olds to my chickens and they do the same thing so now im forcing the babies to eat and free range with the flock. they always stay in the coop until i let the older ones out.

Back
Top Bottom