Integrating two-month olds with rest of flock. Too soon?

lovemychickies

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 1, 2009
Northern CA!!
I have five two-month olds that I was thinking about moving into the big coop with the grown-ups. When do you usually do this? I've had the babies out all day in the garden for about a week, only putting them back in the baby box at night.

Can I give it a go? I don't want any carnage!!

I would hold off until 16 weeks, so they big enough to defend their selfs. Any time you add to a flock it disturbs the pecking order.

Last edited:
This is what I've read on the forum - I have not tried this yet as last year was my first year to have chickens. Put them in with the bigger chickens but in their own area. Leave them there long enough for your older birds to get use to them.

Sometimes it works better to put them together in the evening when everyone is asleep. Once they are together-together, keep an eye out on them. There will be some pecking order activities going on -- that will be normal.

We have a separate area for our younger ones. I'm probably going to keep them there for 2 or 3 weeks before integrating them. I have noticed that several of the older chicks goes and talks to the younger ones.

Let us know what you do and how it works out. I'm very interested.

Deb

My chicks are raised by broodys and I useally let the chicks and they're mothers start running with flock by 2 weeks. The mommys don't let the other hens get within 5 feet to their chicks.

Also they seem to accept the chicks more than when I add any pullets or hens to the flock.

Thanks for the help. I guess I'll just keep them separated until they are at sixteen weeks. They've been able to see the others through the garden fence when the big girls (and boys) are free-ranging out in the yard.

Plus, this will give me time to re-home some of the baby roos!

I'll post when I finally get everyone together. THANK YOU! YOU FELLOW CHICKEN PEOPLE ARE THE BEST!
love.gif

This is what I'm going to do too, keep them separated by a fence inside and outside the coop. Hubby is building me a new coop to allow this, thankfully, because last year was murder trying to keep 16 week old chicks in the house!

I have 17 two months olds and 12 adults separated by chicken wire in the adults coop.

Yesterday I went out and one of the babies had flown into the adult coop and was eating. I don't know how long she was there but everyone was fine. I put the baby back into her own coop.

Today, I went in and found two had flown over to the adults. Again, I don't know how long they were together, but everyone was fine. And, again put the wayward babies back where they belong.

They have been looking at each other through the wire for over two weeks and I think they are getting used to each other.

At least two of my hens are broody and seem quite interested in the babies, always going to the wire and talking to them. I'm going to keep this up for a bit longer, at least till the babies stop sounding like babies and see how we do.

Back
Top Bottom