Integration: did I make a mistake

Try and put Squeaky and Lilly together. and Robin in the time out. Now Squeaky and Lilly may have a few dust ups, but as long as there is no blood, let them work it out. Leave it that way for a week, with Robin in the time out.

After a week, let Robin in with the girls shortly before dark. The urge to roost will be nearly as strong as the urge to fight. Hopefully, that will cause it to go. If not, put old Robin back in the crate and move it to where she cannot be seen by the other birds. Leave her there for a week. Then try again.

Generally if you only have 2-3 birds, you have a small set up which can make this much harder. Go take a look at your run, can a bird get out of sight? If not, add clutter. A pallet leaned up against a wall, a roost in the corner, a scrap piece of plywood to make a mini wall. A platform that chickens can get under or on top. It will make it look cluttered to you, but chickens will find it more interesting. So many times on here, I see wide open runs, where a bird cannot get away from or out of sight of other birds.

Mrs K
Thank you Mrs. K. I have put Squeaky and Lilly out together and have caged Robin in site of Lilly and Squeaky. Squeaky and Lilly have had some heated conversations but nothing to cause hurt. I have the two free in the yard this morning and have put them back in the coop area together. Lilly takes Squeaky in stride letting her know who the boss is and Squeaky seem ok with that, hiding when she wants to and enjoys the nesting area. Robin on the other hand is quite frustrated and pissed off. If she does not calm down soon I will move her away from Squeaky and Lilly. However as of now things are looking good for Lilly and Squeaky.

The 'adjacent place' needs to have a weather and predator proof shelter to spend the night too.
Ok. Well I guess that will be the next project. Thanks for the great pointers. We are working on a safe space today in the run.

Back
Top Bottom