Integration - evening?

Nov 30, 2021
My two babies (born May 11 so they're about 3 months old, same size as adults) have been living in a run beside my one year old ladies' run for a few weeks now. I bring the babies inside to a crate at night. The older ladies are seemingly less reactive finally and only a little bit of chasing when they're both free ranging...although they also grab the tails of the new babies whenever they are close enough to. I am hoping to have them live together soon, since it's not ideal to have to bring them in and out each morning and evening. My question is this - when I do have them go into the coop together for the first time, do you think it's best to put them together in the run later in the day, closer to roosting time (an hour before sunset maybe?) and would this be calmer? The run is secure so if for some reason they don't go into the coop, they'd be safe to sleep in the run I suppose. I just want them all to be happy and no big fights but I know it's going to happen? It's so hard to hear squawking when the big girls go after youngins even for a moment.

I usually do that so they can have some time to get settled in before all the older ones are walking around. I also make sure that I open the door to the outside really early. A little bit of hazing is normal and unavoidable, but if they are only in an enclosed space for a small amount of time they should be able to stay out of each other's way for the most part.

They may sleep in the run. That is less stressful, I think, because they don't have to immediately fight for roosting abilities. All mine have ended up in the coop by winter, so I usually let them decide.

I'd work on having them together full time during the day outside (whether free ranging or in a run) before attempting to lock them up together inside a coop.

There's no specific length of time to do this, but for reference I usually have chicks and hens together during daytime for about 2 weeks before they get moved into the coop.

I'd work on having them together full time during the day outside (whether free ranging or in a run) before attempting to lock them up together inside a coop.

There's no specific length of time to do this, but for reference I usually have chicks and hens together during daytime for about 2 weeks before they get moved into the coop.
it's tricky because they don't free range together except for short periods of time. right now they have runs side by side, which I will be adding a door to so they can go between summer runs- that's on my to do list next week. I hope that works short term to see if they're coexisting alright until they're good to share a coop. needs to happen soon hopefully, as winter is quickly approaching and they will just have the 60sf run for all of them to exist in.

right now they have runs side by side
It's so hard to hear squawking when the big girls go after youngins even for a moment.

If you haven't already, you could switch which ones are in which run. That will let the young ones explore and get comfortable in the new-to-them space without the older hens bothering them.

(This is just one more thing you can do, to help things go a little more smoothly when you actually combine them.)

If you haven't already, you could switch which ones are in which run. That will let the young ones explore and get comfortable in the new-to-them space without the older hens bothering them.

(This is just one more thing you can do, to help things go a little more smoothly when you actually combine them.)
this is a good idea but a bit tricky as the babies are sleeping in another area and I'm bringing them out in the morning whereas the big girls are in a coop attached the the run so they go out into it. but not impossible, would just take a bit of planning. maybe I can do this on a day off.

it's tricky because they don't free range together except for short periods of time. right now they have runs side by side, which I will be adding a door to so they can go between summer runs- that's on my to do list next week. I hope that works short term to see if they're coexisting alright until they're good to share a coop. needs to happen soon hopefully, as winter is quickly approaching and they will just have the 60sf run for all of them to exist in.
Okay, start there and see how it goes. They're not going to really start to integrate until they can spend more than an hour or two together.

60 sq ft run for how many birds total?

I tried this this afternoon, after I noticed the older girls had laid already. I swapped the runs and it went well! the babies had a great five hours exploring and hanging out comfortably and the big girls loved being in a new space (which still has lots of plants!). I will do this as much as I can the next few days. when they were out together I noticed they mostly ignored each other, which is an improvement. I'm feeling good about things. thanks again for the suggestion.

Back
Top Bottom