Integration in a new coop

JosiesMom

Chirping
Apr 9, 2019
I have built a new coop and have two flocks of girls (6 total- 3 each group) that will be living in there. This will be new to both groups, they have free ranged together, but not living together. I am looking for thoughts on the best way to move both groups in together in the new coop.

If they have free ranged together and are only cooped up at night I would guess you will have no problems. You have equal numbers from both flocks, that's another positive. I doubt you have problems but its possible if one trio is extremely more aggressive and dominant compared to the other. Get a 2nd opinion on that though.

It is obvious what is the top of the pecking order, one group has two orpingtons and the other one- these girls are pretty mellow, while the other three seem to have worked it out. Do I put all six together in the coop or the run first??

Having them together is the largest space available is good at first. If they are introduced to their new coop all at once, that should work out well. Nobody owns it yet!
Mary
Yup, this!^^^

I have built a new coop and have two flocks of girls (6 total- 3 each group)
How old are these groups, in weeks or months?
How long have they ranged together?
How big is your new coop and run, in feet by feet?
Dimensions and pics would be good here.

These still apply:
The more space, the better. Birds will peck to establish dominance, the pecked bird needs space to get away. As long as there's no copious blood drawn and/or new bird is not trapped/pinned down and beaten unmercilessly, let them work it out. Every time you interfere or remove new birds, they'll have to start the pecking order thing all over again.

Multiple feed/water stations. Dominance issues are most often carried out over sustenance, more stations lessens the frequency of that issue.

Places for the new birds to hide 'out of line of sight'(but not a dead end trap) and/or up and away from any bully birds. Roosts, pallets or boards leaned up against walls or up on concrete blocks, old chairs tables, branches, logs, stumps out in the run can really help. Lots of diversion and places to 'hide' instead of bare wide open run.

2E61C2E7-4F15-46F3-9771-7A54C2F45681.jpeg E2A653E1-F8FF-4C2E-94C8-8DDEA76F5859.jpeg 812C3132-F758-4646-A800-32D29B36D737.jpeg Group one was born April 2018, group two born Feb 2019. Free range approximately 2 hours a day - new coop is 15’x6’- 2/3 of small storage barn-run will be 15’x12’.

Back
Top Bottom