Integration in cold weather

Pellers

Chirping
Apr 6, 2022
Hi All,
I have been reading and following LOTS of advice for integrating my flock here. I got 3 hatchlings in spring (hens) who all grew up together. I hatched 2 chicks in early summer (one roo, one hen) and followed integration advice starting in mid September. My arrangement is I have an Omelet coop with a 9 foot run, but my chickens free range in my fenced in yard all day. At bedtime, the 3 older ones help themselves to the coop and the two younger ones huddle together somewhere in the run or close to it. Based on advice here, I was kind of just letting them all figure it out and hoping time would be the cure. The young ones don't get picked on much by the bigger ones during the day, but there's definitely a separation, but really no fighting or pecking, they just maintain a respectful distance. They will all nap very close together during the day, though still in 2 distinct groups.

They are getting pretty equal in size, and the roo has yet to crow (probably because these hens are running his life lol). Only 2 of the 3 older hens are laying, my buff orp (who is also the biggest bully of them) hasn't layed yet. I had hoped because they were fairly close in age that this might go a little smoother.

Many nights I have gone out after dark and thrown the two younger ones in the coop and everyone comes out just fine in the morning. This is a hassle and I can't do it forever, so I'm trying to find a solution. But they won't go in themselves, even if I leave the door open and lock them in the run once the big girls are in bed. I'm concerned with the colder weather. I am wondering if I should provide some kind of additional shelter in the run for the younger ones to sleep in or just keep waiting. I'm worried they are going to freeze to death! The run is in a pretty sheltered area (next to a tall privacy fence that blocks wind), and I put hay in there for them but they just end up huddled in the corner looking miserable.

Please help!

Hi All,
I have been reading and following LOTS of advice for integrating my flock here. I got 3 hatchlings in spring (hens) who all grew up together. I hatched 2 chicks in early summer (one roo, one hen) and followed integration advice starting in mid September. My arrangement is I have an Omelet coop with a 9 foot run, but my chickens free range in my fenced in yard all day. At bedtime, the 3 older ones help themselves to the coop and the two younger ones huddle together somewhere in the run or close to it. Based on advice here, I was kind of just letting them all figure it out and hoping time would be the cure. The young ones don't get picked on much by the bigger ones during the day, but there's definitely a separation, but really no fighting or pecking, they just maintain a respectful distance. They will all nap very close together during the day, though still in 2 distinct groups.

They are getting pretty equal in size, and the roo has yet to crow (probably because these hens are running his life lol). Only 2 of the 3 older hens are laying, my buff orp (who is also the biggest bully of them) hasn't layed yet. I had hoped because they were fairly close in age that this might go a little smoother.

Many nights I have gone out after dark and thrown the two younger ones in the coop and everyone comes out just fine in the morning. This is a hassle and I can't do it forever, so I'm trying to find a solution. But they won't go in themselves, even if I leave the door open and lock them in the run once the big girls are in bed. I'm concerned with the colder weather. I am wondering if I should provide some kind of additional shelter in the run for the younger ones to sleep in or just keep waiting. I'm worried they are going to freeze to death! The run is in a pretty sheltered area (next to a tall privacy fence that blocks wind), and I put hay in there for them but they just end up huddled in the corner looking miserable.

Please help!
Sounds like you've got older pullets and a younger pullet and cockerel.
It also sounds like there's not enough space for them. I'm sure during all of your research you've read more than once that the often recommended minimum square footage in the coop is four square feet per bird and I seriously doubt the Omelet coop offers that. Anytime you change flock dynamics, like trying to integrate new birds into an existing flock, you need more than the bare minimum in coop size as well as run size. Have you considered selling the pullet and cockerel and holding off on increasing your flock size until you can upsize your setup?

Yes, I have considered that. Because they free range other than night time, and the coop we have is supposed to be for up to 10 (yeah right), we hoped 5 would not be stretching it. At this point I am still hopeful for integration and have no plans to add more birds.

Back
Top Bottom