Integration input, please…

mldlm

Songster
Apr 3, 2022
Northeast Florida
Tomorrow starts the process of integration. I am SUPER nervous. I have 2 Leghorns and 2 Australorps that are 23 weeks old and I will be integrating one Australorp and one speckled Sussex ( both of which are 13 weeks old). So, my situation is this…My run is 8 x 14’. Part of it (6 x 4’) has been wired off and used for the 2 younger ones for the last four weeks. Same inside the coop. The “look but don’t touch “ method. I do not free range, too many predators. So, my question is, tomorrow when I open the coop to the run, how do I begin? Do I let the younger ones out first? This will be hard to do, as the big girls go out as soon as I open the door. Or, do I put the younger girls in their sectioned off part of the run and then let them out into the run? I have put in place lots of obstacles to give the young ones a way to disrupt any unwanted attention. Any ideas are most welcome. Thank you!

Is there a door for the youngers from their coop partition to their run partition?
..or do you move them from their coop to their run?
Is there a door between the 2 run sections?

Is there a door for the youngers from their coop partition to their run partition?
..or do you move them from their coop to their run?
Is there a door between the 2 run sections?
There is a door on their coop section that leads out into the big coop. I take them out each day and put them in their section of the run where there is also a door. Today, I just opened the inside coop section of theirs once the big girls were out in the run and let them come out when they were ready. So far, just a few minor skirmishes. But what do I do about night time when they are in the coop together?

There is a door on their coop section that leads out into the big coop. I take them out each day and put them in their section of the run where there is also a door. Today, I just opened the inside coop section of theirs once the big girls were out in the run and let them come out when they were ready. So far, just a few minor skirmishes.
Sounds good.
So did they check out the main coop before coming out into the run?

But what do I do about night time when they are in the coop together?
Well, time will tell.
I'd be out there near roosting time and just watch to see what happens.
Give the youngsters plenty of time to get back into the coop.
They may go to their part of the coop.

Sounds good.
So did they check out the main coop before coming out into the run?

Well, time will tell.
I'd be out there near roosting time and just watch to see what happens.
Give the youngsters plenty of time to get back into the coop.
They may go to their part of the coop.
They did check out the main coop before coming out. And they’re mostly staying in there. I guess it feels comfortable to them.

An 8 x 14 run isn't huge for integration but along with the coop if could easily work. The coop and run together is your space system.

Either way should work. Your young ones may instinctively be afraid of the older ones or, if they invade their personal space, may get pecked and quickly learn to avoid the older ones. Don't be surprised if the young ones are in the coop when the older are outside. It can work the other way but usually the older like to be outside. Sometimes they intermingle a lot more than I make it sound, but usually mine avoid the older ones. Having clutter in the run can really help. So can having separate feed and water stations. In your case I'd have food and water in the run and in the coop.

My goal in integration is that no one gets hurt. It's that simple. When the young ones mature into adults they should all become one big happy flock. That will happen, but be patient and let them get there at their pace.

I'm not sure how big your coop is or how it is set up. With only 6 total chickens it may not be that big. At night my juveniles tend to not sleep that close to the adults. Like everything else there can be exceptions to that but mine are pretty consistent about not sleeping that close to the adults. In a small coop that may mean the juveniles don't want to be in there at all. When I'm integrating I don't care where the juveniles sleep as long as it is not in my nests and is predator safe. I try to not forcibly lock mine in the main coop with the adults until they prove to me they can coexist during the day without drama. When I do I make sure I'm down there when they are waking up to make sure it is going OK.

My brooder is in the coop, so mine grow up there. When I'm ready to let them out I let the older ones out first, then open the door to the brooder. That's early in the day. While I keep an eye on things, I pretty much leave the rest up to them.

An 8 x 14 run isn't huge for integration but along with the coop if could easily work. The coop and run together is your space system.

Either way should work. Your young ones may instinctively be afraid of the older ones or, if they invade their personal space, may get pecked and quickly learn to avoid the older ones. Don't be surprised if the young ones are in the coop when the older are outside. It can work the other way but usually the older like to be outside. Sometimes they intermingle a lot more than I make it sound, but usually mine avoid the older ones. Having clutter in the run can really help. So can having separate feed and water stations. In your case I'd have food and water in the run and in the coop.

My goal in integration is that no one gets hurt. It's that simple. When the young ones mature into adults they should all become one big happy flock. That will happen, but be patient and let them get there at their pace.

I'm not sure how big your coop is or how it is set up. With only 6 total chickens it may not be that big. At night my juveniles tend to not sleep that close to the adults. Like everything else there can be exceptions to that but mine are pretty consistent about not sleeping that close to the adults. In a small coop that may mean the juveniles don't want to be in there at all. When I'm integrating I don't care where the juveniles sleep as long as it is not in my nests and is predator safe. I try to not forcibly lock mine in the main coop with the adults until they prove to me they can coexist during the day without drama. When I do I make sure I'm down there when they are waking up to make sure it is going OK.

My brooder is in the coop, so mine grow up there. When I'm ready to let them out I let the older ones out first, then open the door to the brooder. That's early in the day. While I keep an eye on things, I pretty much leave the rest up to them.
Wow! A lot of helpful information, thanks! My coop is a converted shed. The coop portion measures 7 x 10’. I do have an area that is roughly 3 x 4’ separate from the rest of the coop by chicken wire and a door. They have been in there with the big girls like that for about a month. I am thinking I may put them back in that closed area when they all go in tonight, since it is the first night, for their own protection. In the morning, I will do like I did this morning. Let the bigs out and then just open the door on the inside coop and the young ones can wander out when they are ready. I am attaching a photo. What do you think?

Attachments

• FAA959BD-2D0B-4158-9CED-AEE189A010C6.jpeg
    FAA959BD-2D0B-4158-9CED-AEE189A010C6.jpeg
    703.4 KB · Views: 9
  • EDC771C0-B1BC-41DC-A859-06B981EFDB72.jpeg
    EDC771C0-B1BC-41DC-A859-06B981EFDB72.jpeg
    647.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 3B1A365C-073C-40BF-B488-EA0DA6A03CA4.jpeg
    3B1A365C-073C-40BF-B488-EA0DA6A03CA4.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 10
  • E48F2C8E-CDCA-4B0D-95D2-B3441865B515.jpeg
    E48F2C8E-CDCA-4B0D-95D2-B3441865B515.jpeg