Integration oddities or normal behavior?

There are two runs, side-by-side. The new run for the chicks (8x14) and the existing run (8x8) for the big girls. They have been out in their new run for a week now. The only thing separating the two runs is some plastic poultry fencing, which is open now. There are places to get away. The blind chick is really the problem. She does not know when she is near Gwyneth, and then gets pecked and doesn’t know where to run...or runs and runs into something hard.

Here are two pics. The one with the bigger hens is their original run. You can see Gwyneth in her jail cell. You can also see the new run behind that. The second pic is the new run.
View attachment 2180989View attachment 2180988
Hmm. I wonder if you could try Daisy staying with the little ones in the larger run. Then you could let Miss Misbehaving have the smaller run instead of the jail box. If you think Daisy is totally safe with the little ones, that might be worth a try. Then when Gweneth rejoins, she'll be the new guy!

I'm sorry, I didn't see the reply with the pics. I'm sure the blind chick will be a challenge. I've read here that sometimes another chick will buddy up with the blind but honestly, I have no clue.

Maybe 'clutter up' that run?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-cluttered-run.1323792/

Not sure about the blind chick. That's gonna be tough.
I have been adding more to that run since the photo was taken. It’s been a process, as I just opened the New run to the chicks last week. And yeah, the blind chick is the biggest issue. Even with places to hide, she can’t see to find them in a situation where she is getting pecked. And Gwyneth is singling her out more. This morning, she only pecked at the littles when they were near her. From across the run, she spotted Precious (blind one) and intentionally went after her. She’s locked in the coop now.

Day two, of the more intentional integration. Daisy couldn’t wait to be with the littles this morning. As soon as I let her out, she was cooing for the littles to come out of their side. I let the littles out, and she started back up with the mothering at the feeder, making sure everyone, including the blind one, got fed and watered. Just a few minutes ago, I went to check on them because it was so quiet. They are all laying beside her in the littles side of the coop. I should have taken a picture.
Gwyneth immediately went after everyone, so I locked her back in the big girls side of the coop for now, till I figure out the best way to quarantine her better. Yesterday I had her jailed in the run. That turned out badly, because she apparently needed to lay an egg, but was too stressed from being jailed. She was lethargic for several hours, and finally laid her egg in the run. About 30 minutes later, she dropped a soft shell egg as well. She needs access to the nest boxes, so the jail thing isn’t great for her.

Honestly, the biggest issue for me is Precious, the blind one. If not for her, I think things would be mostly ok. Yeah, there would be some pecking, but the other chicks can and do get away from Gwyneth.

From across the run, she spotted Precious (blind one) and intentionally went after her.
This is kind of 'normal' for a handicapped or ill bird to be drummed out of the flock as those birds can be a detriment to flock safety.

Do you plan on keeping this blind bird?
If so you may need to start making special accommodations now.

This is kind of 'normal' for a handicapped or ill bird to be drummed out of the flock as those birds can be a detriment to flock safety.

Do you plan on keeping this blind bird?
If so you may need to start making special accommodations now.
I do plan to keep her. She gets along fine with everyone else. She even manages to get up to their roost at night, which is 18” off the ground. I still have not seen how she is doing that.

I do plan to keep her. She gets along fine with everyone else. She even manages to get up to their roost at night, which is 18” off the ground. I still have not seen how she is doing that.
Wonders if maybe she is not totally blind?

Wonders if maybe she is not totally blind?
Well, there is that possibility. She does run into things. I do know that she can see light. She can follow a laser pointer. I think her vision is just extremely poor, to the point that she cannot see things in front of her, or who is near her. When attacked by Gwyneth, she just goes crazy and runs into everything while desperately trying to get away. She is terrified when that happens.

Back
Top Bottom