Integration Problems

ChickenCrazy8

Songster
9 Years
Jan 16, 2012
Canada, Ottawa
My Coop
My Coop
Approximately 2weeks ago I integrated four 4month olds with two 1and a half year olds. The four month olds never go into the run if my hens are down there and if the hens come into the coop the 4months old hide on the perch BUT I still have to make sure that they are all on the perch together in the night. I feel like by now they should have worked out their problems. Is there anything at all I can do???
Thanks in advance,
Zoë

give it a little more time...the older the hens the longer it can take...but, they will eventually be fine...it may take another few weeks though :) But, they will be ok...

I would like to add a few chicks to my flock. How do I do this with out them getting killed by the roo or other hens ?

Raise them separate until they are nearly the same size. Then do a slow integration. Keep them so they can see each other with out physically interacting. When they are nearing the same size, if you can let them free range at the same time if you have a large area. After a week or so they usually can be put together.

It took several months for mine to fully integrate and even still there are some nights when the oldest girl won't let some of the younger ones come in at night! It is getting better but I thought it would never end!!

I just integrated two 14 week pullets with four 18 mos hens, my pullets were the same hiding in the coop at first then slowly they would hang out on the stairway to the run. One of the pullets was braver then the other and would make the move to the run then retreat to the coop or stairs again. At roost time the 2 pullets would be on one end of the roost the other 4 were together on the other end. After about 4 weeks they moved into the run regularly and now 6 weeks later they are out all the time. There is still some squabbling at roost time but not enough to be concerned about it. It might help if you haven't already to have 2 places for water and food-I added both in the coop and had both in the run and that helped alot. I do think that now that they are 20 weeks old and bigger that has made a big difference too.

Back
Top Bottom