Integration questions

amity80

In the Brooder
Jul 21, 2023
This is not my first time integrating flocks but this integration is especially challenging:

I started with 4 hens and a year later successfully integrated 4 more hens. (even match, they met each other through wire walls, free ranged together and had plenty of food spots) Two years later, my sister had six hens and was able to integrate 4 with no issues either. So now my flock is 4 yrs old and hers is one. This March my coop was assailed by a bobcat, and only two hens survived (one from each batch). We rebuilt from the bottom up, and the coop is now significantly better and more secure (and huge with an expanded run so there is less need for free ranging and risking predation for two girls who are getting on in years, laying less but BELOVED by my family). This spring we got 4 bantams which we were planning to integrate (12 wks old at the moment), but my sister just called and racoons have been getting into her flock, and she's lost 4 and is down to 6 herself (3 from her first flock and 3 from the ones she added) and doesn't have the time or patience to rebuild, but doesn't want the rest of her flock to become racoon food, so has offered to either give me her 6 girls that are a year old in their prime as layers, or she's going to cull them herself.

So I have two older girls currently living in a huge coop and run and the potential need to integrate 4 bantams (which I was going to add to the coop in a separated section of the run for a few weeks to introduce before integrating when they are a little older) but now also a potential flock of 6 (she claims they are fairly docile 3 are Raya's and 3 are a Brama/Something mix, which are breeds I've never had. My original girls were a complete mix, a leghorn, black jersey giant, white laced Wyandotte, Rhode Island red, cream legbar etc...).

How do I do this? Do I do this? Even if I make a completely separate space for the bantams, Integrating the two established girls with a flock of 6? I know the matches should be pretty even, and most of the posts I read here talk about adding a few to a larger flock not the other way around.

Do I do one then the other, do I pass on my sister's flock? I know about lots of food stations meeting through wire first, free ranging and obstacles to break line of sight. I'm just not sure about three flocks coming together and the disparity in number and size (the bantams)

Any ideas or first hand experiential knowledge would be nice. (to add another wrench I think two of the bantams are presenting as cockerels)

I would suggest throwing them all together and letting the roosters sort it out but I'm kinda old fashioned. Separate any problematic birds temporarily, watch them when they are confined together and aren't sleeping.

I would suggest throwing them all together and letting the roosters sort it out but I'm kinda old fashioned. Separate any problematic birds temporarily, watch them when they are confined together and aren't sleeping.
You don't think the different sizes and ages will be a problem? The Roosters are only 3 months old and bantams.

A lot depends on the run - does it have a lot of clutter. If so rearrange the clutter. Let the old girls out into your yard, lock them out, and lock the 6 new girls in and bantams in the coop and run. Feed along the fence. Let the old girls in as close to dark as you can.

Get down there early in the morning and do this when you can check on them a couple of times a day.

The bantams might be the real problem, some people can mix bantams and full size birds, and some cannot. They are smaller, and tend to to be harassed by older birds, especially if the area is the least bit cramped.

People talk about big coops and runs, but what is that depends on your perspective of what big is - what are the measurements.

Mrs K

A lot depends on the run - does it have a lot of clutter. If so rearrange the clutter. Let the old girls out into your yard, lock them out, and lock the 6 new girls in and bantams in the coop and run. Feed along the fence. Let the old girls in as close to dark as you can.

Get down there early in the morning and do this when you can check on them a couple of times a day.

The bantams might be the real problem, some people can mix bantams and full size birds, and some cannot. They are smaller, and tend to to be harassed by older birds, especially if the area is the least bit cramped.

People talk about big coops and runs, but what is that depends on your perspective of what big is - what are the measurements.

Mrs K
Thank you for your reply!

My run is 12 x 12 with the coop in the middle to block line of sight all the way around. I put four feeding/water stations in, one in each corner and some other clutter. I put the bantams in with the two girls three days ago and they were basically ignored. When the two big girls do get close, the bantams can fly over them and there are also a lot of roosting spots the bantams can get to that the big girls can't. Only thing is the bantams won't go into the coop at night to sleep. They are sleeping on a roost in the run. I am going to build a small coop/nesting box just for the bantams inside the run. I added the six girls from my sister's flock yesterday. Even though the three brahma's are huge, my old girls, quickly established dominance, and there has been almost no fighting. The new girls also ignore the bantams. All eight big girls went into and slept in the coop last night shoulder to shoulder. I am grateful that there hasn't been a lot of drama after all. I know it can go either way. While my run is pretty secure and has a full blown roof, I still need to make sure the bantams have a coop of their own to roost and protect them from the elements at night when it gets colder.
IMG_2736.JPEG
IMG_2725.JPEG

Back
Top Bottom