Integration taking foreeeeevvveeerrrr..why?!?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by SwtGrc, Jan 17, 2018.

1. SwtGrc

SwtGrc Chirping

Dec 2, 2017
    Northern California
    hi guys!!
    Ok, long story short-ish. I integrated my young ladies with my older ladies over the course of a couple weeks I think. You know, the whole, "keep them separated by fencing, but let them see each other". Finally when the little ladies were big enough we let them all free range together. Of course there was some chasing and a peck here and there.
    Well, now they've been completely together almost 5 weeks and they're still being chased (especially around food) and pecked. No wounds ever though.
    Does integrating usually take this long? :confused:
    The big girls are 9 months old and the little ladies are about 4-5 months.

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Crossing the Road

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    It can take a good while for everything to settle down.

If the pecking/chasing is mainly around food - add more feed stations and place/scatter treats far and wide. If you have treats like cabbage, kale, etc. - hang in a couple of places as far apart as you can.

Mraya, aart, Pork Pie Ken and 2 others like this.
  3. Sometimes they won't settle down completely. Just make sure they get access to food and aren't too distressed. As already mentioned it will improve, just keep in mind that they're in no danger unless they're wounded. Like @Wyorp Rock said keep them distracted and the big girls will be less interested.

Harmony Fowl and SwtGrc like this.
  4. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Free Ranging

Jun 23, 2013
    The Big Island/Hawaii
    Agreeing, you probably need more feeders/waterers far apart. My girls love hanging fruit or veggies, chicken tether ball, fun to watch.

Wyorp Rock and SwtGrc like this.
  5. SwtGrc

SwtGrc Chirping

Dec 2, 2017
    Northern California
    They are free range pretty much all day and I've been scattering scratch etc in many parts of the yard. I have recently bought a treat ball that you can fill with stuff and it dispenses as they peck and roll it around. I also hung a head of cabbage but they weren't really interested.
    Thanks for the info peeps!:jumpy
    Good to know it could be a while longer for them to establish things

Wyorp Rock likes this.
  6. CSAchook

CSAchook Crossing the Road

Aug 21, 2017
    New Mexico
    Yep just hang in there ;) Mine took all summer before they could peacefully share food. They are buddies now. If no one is getting hurt then you are doing things right.,:thumbsup

Wyorp Rock likes this.
  7. Pork Pie

Pork Pie Flockwit

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Great advice above. I find that younger birds only tend to integrate fully, once they begin to lay.

aart, Wyorp Rock and CSAchook like this.
  8. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Crossing the Road

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    @SwtGrc It's great that they are able to free range. Some do like hanging veggies, while others are like:confused:
    I agree with @Pork Pie Ken as well - didn't even cross my mind, but yes, things do calm down more once everyone is laying. All of yours are youngsters yet, so if there's no major blood being drawn, let them work it out.

Pork Pie Ken likes this.
  9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    The distraction 'treats' are all well and fine....
    .....but make sure you have multiple feed and water stations too so everyone gets a good basic nutrition.

chickens really likes this.
  10. Shadyfarms

Shadyfarms Chirping

Jan 16, 2018
    Mine took awhile to integrate as well. I made sure I put some hiding places in the coop/run where the little ones could escape the torment if it was too much. 3 months later, they are pretty much one flock now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: