Integration!? When's best?

AliBia

Chirping
Jul 12, 2023
There are two questions.
Seven eggs were incubated, and candling by day ten revealed activity in all of those I could candle. Two Olive Eggers and a Copper Maran egg were light-impenetrable. Attaching photos of the two that hatched, and the rest were all at a very advanced stage of development, but they were not meant to be. They were not meant to be, is how I console my heart, BUT my mind seeks to know why the rest stopped developing.

My second question is, can these two be given the same brooder as three other chicks that hatched 25 days ago?
Will the new younger siblings be shown the ropes by older ones? OR will the older ones be a threat to the new babies?

Any one with experience, please enlighten me.

Many thanks.

Attachments

• 20240307_101222.jpg
    20240307_101222.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 13
  • AMZ_1064.jpg
    AMZ_1064.jpg
    284.6 KB · Views: 1
  • AMZ_1038.jpg
    AMZ_1038.jpg
    261.9 KB · Views: 1
  • AMZ_1030.jpg
    AMZ_1030.jpg
    317.1 KB · Views: 1
  • AMZ_1051.jpg
    AMZ_1051.jpg
    279 KB · Views: 1
There are two questions.
Seven eggs were incubated, and candling by day ten revealed activity in all of those I could candle. Two Olive Eggers and a Copper Maran egg were light-impenetrable. Attaching photos of the two that hatched, and the rest were all at a very advanced stage of development, but they were not meant to be. They were not meant to be, is how I console my heart, BUT my mind seeks to know why the rest stopped developing.
There are many different reasons many could be dead in the shell. I'll include some links that might help you figure out what happened with yours. A lot if times though it is not clear what actually happened.

Trouble Shooting Failures with Egg Incubation | Mississippi State University Extension Service (msstate.edu)

Common Incubation Problems: Causes and Remedies (ucanr.edu)

Microsoft Word - Incubation guide _version UK_ 2011 - final - corrected.doc (hubbardbreeders.com)

My second question is, can these two be given the same brooder as three other chicks that hatched 25 days ago?
Will the new younger siblings be shown the ropes by older ones? OR will the older ones be a threat to the new babies?
Sometimes that works great, sometimes it doesn't. A lot depends on the personality of the individual chicks. Some can be bullies, sometimes an older one "mothers" young chicks. A lot of the time the older ignore the younger. It can help to have a larger brooder so the younger can avoid the older if they need to and it can help to have multiple feeders and waterers so the older don't bully the younger over food or water.

It's great when it works but it's also possible one chick will kill another. I'd be cautious and observe to see how it goes.

There are many different reasons many could be dead in the shell. I'll include some links that might help you figure out what happened with yours. A lot if times though it is not clear what actually happened.

Trouble Shooting Failures with Egg Incubation | Mississippi State University Extension Service (msstate.edu)

Common Incubation Problems: Causes and Remedies (ucanr.edu)

Microsoft Word - Incubation guide _version UK_ 2011 - final - corrected.doc (hubbardbreeders.com)

Sometimes that works great, sometimes it doesn't. A lot depends on the personality of the individual chicks. Some can be bullies, sometimes an older one "mothers" young chicks. A lot of the time the older ignore the younger. It can help to have a larger brooder so the younger can avoid the older if they need to and it can help to have multiple feeders and waterers so the older don't bully the younger over food or water.

It's great when it works but it's also possible one chick will kill another. I'd be cautious and observe to see how it goes.
Thanks for getting back to me Ridgerunner. I will check out the links you so kindly shared.
As for integrating the different chicks, I will proceed with caution and see how it goes.
Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom