Integration

Gigi17

In the Brooder
Jun 5, 2021
Hello, im a newb to chicken life. I currently have an 17 week Amerucana and 19 week EE neither are laying yet. I also have 3 9 week old wyadottes im looking to integrate with my older 2. I have been letting my 3 babies out in the original chickens pen while I let the orginal chickens free range. Neither group seems concerned about the other much. Should I wait a little longer to integrate the babies to get older Or just try?
how did you integrate your flock? The good the bad the ugly.

How big is your coop/chicken pen?
I would wait until the chicks got a bit bigger (4mo) ... Would a wire dog cage fit in the coop? Would you be able to section off an area with food/water for the chicks in the coop? I've never integrated but have read about "how to" ... I'm chicken & keep only 4 so never tried what I've read.

How big is your coop/chicken pen?
I would wait until the chicks got a bit bigger (4mo) ... Would a wire dog cage fit in the coop? Would you be able to section off an area with food/water for the chicks in the coop? I've never integrated but have read about "how to" ... I'm chicken & keep only 4 so never tried what I've read.

Attachments

• C16F23D8-776F-4DF6-8269-212C120C331C.jpeg
    C16F23D8-776F-4DF6-8269-212C120C331C.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 8
I do have enough room for a safe zone, just concerned. I really would like the younger flock outside even if the means another pen or add on.

I have been letting my 3 babies out in the original chickens pen while I let the orginal chickens free range.
Do the youngsters investigate the coop during this time?
Do you remove the youngsters before allowing the older birds back into the run?
How long have you been doing this?

Do the youngsters investigate the coop during this time?
Do you remove the youngsters before allowing the older birds back into the run?
How long have you been doing this?
I first let the older chickens out of the pen and let them free range. Then I put the youngsters in the pen and they have not explored the coop as of yet. Then I take the youngsters out and put them in their home and then let the older chickens back in their pen. The older chickens will visit the youngsters for a bit there is no pecking or chasing, no signs of aggression (but I lack experience) but otherwise they really don’t pay much attention to them. On a side note I do have a fenced garden that none of the chickens have ever been in maybe this is something I can utilize?

I first let the older chickens out of the pen and let them free range. Then I put the youngsters in the pen and they have not explored the coop as of yet. Then I take the youngsters out and put them in their home and then let the older chickens back in their pen. The older chickens will visit the youngsters for a bit there is no pecking or chasing, no signs of aggression (but I lack experience) but otherwise they really don’t pay much attention to them. On a side note I do have a fenced garden that none of the chickens have ever been in maybe this is something I can utilize?
I have been doing this for about 3 weeks. But I just started leaving the coop door open this week

I would get the youngsters into the coop on their daily visit, maybe even close them in there for a few hours. It's always good to have a separate and slight lower roost for the newbies. Then one day just open the run to the olders and see waht happens.

Here's some tips about......
Integration Basics:
It's all about territory and resources(space/food/water).
Existing birds will almost always attack new ones to defend their resources.
Understanding chicken behaviors is essential to integrating new birds into your flock.

Confine new birds within sight but physically segregated from older/existing birds for several weeks, so they can see and get used to each other but not physically interact.

In adjacent runs, spread scratch grains along the dividing mesh, best if mesh is just big enough for birds to stick their head thru, so they get used to eating together.

The more space, the better.
Birds will peck to establish dominance, the pecked bird needs space to get away. As long as there's no copious blood drawn and/or new bird is not trapped/pinned down and beaten unmercilessly, let them work it out. Every time you interfere or remove new birds, they'll have to start the pecking order thing all over again.

Multiple feed/water stations. Dominance issues are most often carried out over sustenance, more stations lessens the frequency of that issue.

Places for the new birds to hide 'out of line of sight'(but not a dead end trap) and/or up and away from any bully birds. Roosts, pallets or boards leaned up against walls or up on concrete blocks, old chairs tables, branches, logs, stumps out in the run can really help. Lots of diversion and places to 'hide' instead of bare wide open run.
Good ideas for hiding places:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-cluttered-run.1323792/

I would get the youngsters into the coop on their daily visit, maybe even close them in there for a few hours. It's always good to have a separate and slight lower roost for the newbies. Then one day just open the run to the olders and see waht happens.

Here's some tips about......
Integration Basics:
It's all about territory and resources(space/food/water).
Existing birds will almost always attack new ones to defend their resources.
Understanding chicken behaviors is essential to integrating new birds into your flock.

Confine new birds within sight but physically segregated from older/existing birds for several weeks, so they can see and get used to each other but not physically interact.

In adjacent runs, spread scratch grains along the dividing mesh, best if mesh is just big enough for birds to stick their head thru, so they get used to eating together.

The more space, the better. Birds will peck to establish dominance, the pecked bird needs space to get away. As long as there's no copious blood drawn and/or new bird is not trapped/pinned down and beaten unmercilessly, let them work it out. Every time you interfere or remove new birds, they'll have to start the pecking order thing all over again.

Multiple feed/water stations. Dominance issues are most often carried out over sustenance, more stations lessens the frequency of that issue.

Places for the new birds to hide 'out of line of sight'(but not a dead end trap) and/or up and away from any bully birds. Roosts, pallets or boards leaned up against walls or up on concrete blocks, old chairs tables, branches, logs, stumps out in the run can really help. Lots of diversion and places to 'hide' instead of bare wide open run.
Good ideas for hiding places:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-cluttered-run.1323792/
Thank you!!!! I need all the education I can get.

What @aart said.

With three weeks, you could be already fully integrated, but that takes a bunch of space and a set up you don't yet have. It will come with time.

"Abundance is a social lubricant". Having lots of space - such as the opportunity to free range together (or run away successfully if there is friction), the opportunity to feed and drink without crowding for a single source, etc will go a long way towards a successful integration.

Multiple perch heights so that less doinant birds can sleep that way, on lower poles, acknowledges pecking order dynamics. Your run looks relatively small, a single aggressive hen could probably dominate the whole area. Nor is there much in the way of enrichment - perches, short walls to break line of site, a frame "ladder" tubes, etc to give them things to do in the run when they are constrained there.

As time and funds permit, I'd look to enlarge the run in the future, both for later integrations, and for any time where the whole of the flock can't free range and is contained in the run for an extended period - such as during multi-day incliment weather conditions. You dodn't mention where you are (or I read right past it), so I don't know if you might see seasonal flooding or long periods of heavy snowfall where you are at - both encourage larger runs and creative landscaping to encourage water away from your chicken house and grounds.

Back
Top Bottom