Integration

lases77

Chirping
May 19, 2023
I've been slowly introducing my seven hens (4.5 months) who's had their own enclosure within the larger run with my older girls (5.5 mo). It's a group of docile breeds overall.

Yesterday, when I let the younger ones out for a bit, I noticed the largest, top hen went for the younger ones' necks and bit down hard on their feathers and wouldn't let go. I hadn't seen this before. She was pushing down too, like she was trying to submit them to the ground. They were screaming and trying to get away.

Had anyone else seen this behavior? Is this normal? Is this proper communication, or mean bullying? Seems excessive to me.

We have a rooster, so I don't think she would be trying to take the position of a missing rooster in the hiarchy. Would love to know why you guys think she's doing this. Everyone else is just doing the normal peck when the littles get near them. She's the only one chasing them down.
Thanks for your insight!

Please post pictures of your entire setup.
You don't have a very large age difference in your pullets.
Have any of the older pullets hit point of lay?
Is the cockerel in the older group or the younger group and has he started breeding them?
How long have these two sub-flocks been able to see each other but not touch and how are they being exposed to each other?
How many feed and water stations are there and what is in their environment for enrichment?

Please post pictures of your entire setup.
You don't have a very large age difference in your pullets.
Have any of the older pullets hit point of lay?
Is the cockerel in the older group or the younger group and has he started breeding them?
How long have these two sub-flocks been able to see each other but not touch and how are they being exposed to each other?
How many feed and water stations are there and what is in their environment for enrichment?
Some of the older pullets have began laying over the past 3 or so weeks. Cockrell is in the older group and has started breeding and they will squat for him. Both flocks have been combined like this since about mid August.
There's a feeder in the main coop, and two feeders in the main run, and one feeder in the little's run, along with their water. The main run has a 5 gal waterer and a 3 gal hanging waterer. There's 20 total older hens including roo. The run is 480 sf and main coop is 8x10 (of course some of that sq footage in the run is being taken up by the little's set up).
Will post pics when I get back home :)

Inadequate space may be the problem. Usually, younger newer flock members learn to avoid the flock bully by distancing themselves from her, and no, she isn't vying for the rooster's job. She may be the flock alpha over all including the rooster.

Breaking up the run into compartments, adding furniture to hop onto out of reach, and more perches to rest on can help maintain the peace.

Some of the older pullets have began laying over the past 3 or so weeks. Cockrell is in the older group and has started breeding and they will squat for him. Both flocks have been combined like this since about mid August.
There's a feeder in the main coop, and two feeders in the main run, and one feeder in the little's run, along with their water. The main run has a 5 gal waterer and a 3 gal hanging waterer. There's 20 total older hens including roo. The run is 480 sf and main coop is 8x10 (of course some of that sq footage in the run is being taken up by the little's set up).
Will post pics when I get back home :)

Attachments

• 20231008_133559.jpg
    20231008_133559.jpg
    620.6 KB · Views: 10
Your run is sorely lacking in enrichment. I would start adding lots and lots of clutter to it so they have things to fly up and perch on, hide behind and dig around in. Can they dig to the soil in there?
You could also try to hang a head of cabbage for distraction.

Your run is sorely lacking in enrichment. I would start adding lots and lots of clutter to it so they have things to fly up and perch on, hide behind and dig around in. Can they dig to the soil in there?
You could also try to hang a head of cabbage for distraction.
Yes, they can dig around and have many digging spots. There's a large multi tier roost in one corner where they like to perch and look out a lot. I could add more tree branches, and maybe mirrors? I hang cabbage and other stuff occasionally (actually doing that now).

Any enrichment suggestions I'm always open to hear! Would love to know what is a favorite for your birds. I need ideas :)
Once I can get this small coop and run out of here I will have more room to add in more stuff!

Yes, they can dig around and have many digging spots. There's a large multi tier roost in one corner where they like to perch and look out a lot. I could add more tree branches, and maybe mirrors? I hang cabbage and other stuff occasionally (actually doing that now).

Any enrichment suggestions I'm always open to hear!
Think bigger items, since you have space, some of which block line of sight, others that provide different levels (such as perches, platforms) or encourage different sorts of interaction where they can go under, around, etc.

Clutter thread for more ideas: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-cluttered-run.1323792/page-6#post-25037140

Back
Top Bottom