Interbreeding

clayb226

Songster
8 Years
Mar 31, 2011
Missouri
I have just got some BLRW eggs, and was wanting to start a flock of these, my question is, should I not breed the roosters from the eggs, to the hens for fear of interbreeding deformaties? Would it hurt to do it the first year, then change out roosters, I am wanting to keep the blood line as clean as possible, any help would be apprieciated. Thanks in advanced.

Many show lines of many species are inbred. One or two generations of in/line breeding should not cause any problems. Keep the two best roosters. Breed one to the hens that you keep. The next year use the second rooster on the pulletws from the first year' mating. You can create a scenario to limit the inbreeding.

Quote:
Thank you so much for you reply, I have been waiting to hear back on this. I will keep this in mind when I start my flock in a couple weeks.

they should be ok, just every couple of years switch out some hens and roosters, but make sure your bringing in good lined chickens without mites, or deformities that could ruin your flock!

Thank you so much everyone for your replies, I was just going to raise chickens for eggs and meat, but got hooked. After a month of having chickens, I have started hatching and ordered some eggs from someone on this site. I would like to help improve the breed, and hopefully, let my kids help out and show some. I have been looking into a few chicken programs for my kids to be able to get into, and they seem excited. This is what brought up this question, thanks again for all your replies.

Thank you everyone for the replies, this has been a concern of mine since I started thinking about chick breeding.

Back
Top Bottom