Interest in changing Chesapeake, VA chicken keeping code

Chesapeake Backyard Chickens is organizing a MEETING to get more hens allowed in Chesapeake backyards. Date is Saturday, April 21. Time is 1:00 PM. Place is IHOP, 641 Battlefield Blvd N, Chesapeake VA 23320. Who else will be there? Please spread the good news!

Hey,
We are new to the site and we would like to learn more about Chesapeake and its zoning laws. We are zoned R-15s. ( Chesapeake Zone Map by address) and I think we are allowed chickens if you are in a 4H club! I am currently looking into this! Has anyone else looked into this? This would be a good way to keep chickens if you have school aged children.

ChixHawks

Jeremy on the Facebook page mentioned the same thing yesterday. He checked into it and posted today that Chesapeake no longer has a poultry program it its 4-H.
hit.gif

Hello,
We hope to move to Chesapeake in late Spring/Early Summer from WI.
Is this forum the best way for us to hear updates on your progress?
We would be happy to help once we get out there.
Better yet, you all git'er done and we will buy some hens when we arrive!
Any idea on the chances of this going through?
Is there a better backyard family farm community near the naval station (south of the tunnel) that we should consider instead of Chesapeake? What would the local zoning have to be if we wanted an acre of land with a cow, hens, and a pig? I've been on the city website and can't find exactly what I am looking for.
Thanks,
Nick

Check with a real estate agent who knows such matters. If you are looking in Chesapeake, you'd better find something zoned agricultural. I don't know of anything zoned agricultural in lots that small, but I haven't looked. If you can't find anything in Virginia, you might want to try Northeastern North Carolina. It's within commuting distance, and land and taxes are cheaper there. Some real estate agents in VA can work NC, too, or I know of a GREAT agent in NC if you need a referral.

Right now to have hens you have to be zoned agricultural or RE-1. The "E" stands for "estate" which is lots of 3 acres or more. The ordinances are available online. We are working on a chicken-related compendium.

If you haven't already, please sign our petition at http://www.change.org/petitions/4chesapeakehens# . Best way to stay in contact with updates is to like our Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Chesapeake-Virginia-Backyard-Chickens/334236733254583

When we get ready to go before the City of Chesapeake, it would be great if you would go with us to let the City Council know directly that the zoning ordinance is negatively affecting potential homeowners who want to relocate here and want to "urban farm" or "urban homestead." It seems to me that Chesapeake would be a GREAT location for this if it weren't for the ordinances. If you decide to relocate elsewhere, a well-written letter would be a help. So would some brief comments on the petition. I hope this answers your questions.

Oh, and if you are RE-1 you can only have four hens, which at that point are considered "household pets" instead of "livestock."

On November 20, 2012, Chesapeake City Council voted to allow up to six laying hens, no roosters, in a pen in residential backyards on all single-family lots. City Council Member Robert Ike was instrumental in implementing this change. There's a sunset clause, so City Council will be revisiting this issue in 1 year to see if the change in policy is causing any problems. Thanks so EVERYONE who has supported us in getting this change.

There are some setback requirements for the coop.

Back
Top Bottom