Interest in Pheasants: Questions

Gresh

Songster
8 Years
Jul 9, 2011
North Carolina
Hey, y'all.

I've kept chickens for some time and have had some interest in pheasants, but don't know how the two hobbies can be compatible as I hear that pheasants have relatively weak immune systems. So, I have three questions to ask:

1) Can pheasants be housed near chickens (not with them, but nearby).
2) What breeds of pheasant require the least space pen-wise (I don't know if I can afford huge pens).
3) What breed of pheasant would be the most human-friendly/easy to keep?

Thanks for your time, and God bless,
~Gresh~

Hi gresh. Yes they can be nearby. Just try to seperate the best you can. They dont really have a weak immune system. Its just that chickens have things that may get your pheasants sick without going into great detail. Some pheasants like ringnecks and golden pheasants and a few others are pretty simple to keep and dont need alot of space. On the third question. It just depends on the time spent with the birds really. If you can or do get some. Try the red goldens you will truly enjoy them and beautiful. But of course they are all fun and cool to me
wink.png

Ditto all Shawn's statements. You can't go wrong starting with Golden Pheasants - small, easy, tame, affordable, and beautiful. Read all the material you can get your hands on before you get them and you'll do great.

Dan

Thanks everyone, for your info. I know of a place near my home where a guy keeps Red Goldens. Think I'll ask him sometime if he has any for sale.

What's a good price for a Golden? I know that a cross between a Amherst and a Golden would probably be cheaper 'cause it wouldn't be pure, but what would a pure Golden cost? Or, more accurately, what would a pair or trio of Goldens cost? I don't have a big budget to work with, so the cheapest way to fly is what I need.

Thanks again,
~Gresh~

Thanks everyone, for your info. I know of a place near my home where a guy keeps Red Goldens. Think I'll ask him sometime if he has any for sale.

What's a good price for a Golden? I know that a cross between a Amherst and a Golden would probably be cheaper 'cause it wouldn't be pure, but what would a pure Golden cost? Or, more accurately, what would a pair or trio of Goldens cost? I don't have a big budget to work with, so the cheapest way to fly is what I need.

Thanks again,
~Gresh~

please start of pure bred species stay away from cross breedings

please start of pure bred species stay away from cross breedings

I wasn't talking about starting with crossbreeds, sir. I was merely mentioning that crossbreeds would probably be cheaper, but I was also trying to indicate that I was quite intent upon getting the real stuff and not crosses.

That being said, can anyone answer my last question?

Most people can't tell cross breed red goldens or amherst.You would need to buy from a reputable breeder that can provide paperwork with pure birds.There are a few good breeders left.Do your homework and find a good breeder.I'm sure there are some near you.There are 5 listed in the APWs directory in No.Carolina.If you need numbers let me know and I will pm them to you.
In N.H.,Tony.

I wasn't talking about starting with crossbreeds, sir. I was merely mentioning that crossbreeds would probably be cheaper, but I was also trying to indicate that I was quite intent upon getting the real stuff and not crosses.

it was only advise I gave you to start pure from the beginning SIR because you mention the crossbreeds in your text.never pointing out you have the intension to start with the crossbreeds

it was only advise I gave you to start pure from the beginning SIR because you mention the crossbreeds in your text.never pointing out you have the intension to start with the crossbreeds

I apologize, looking back at my original post, I see I did not make my intention very clear at all. I understand the importance of preserving purity of lines. I've seen that even in my limited experience with (or, more accurately, research about) chickens. I imagine it's even more important with pheasants, because pheasants are not thoroughly domesticated (and, therefore, not so genetically diverse) as chickens.

I appreciate your concern that I start out right, and if I ever do get into pheasants, I will seek to take your advice and preserve the purity of whatever species I would acquire.

By the way, I meant no sarcasm in addressing you as "sir." I meant it as a respectful title. I try to address people who know more about poultry than I do in such ways, as an expression of my admiration for their work. If you visit the topic "Oriental Gamefowl Thread," I think you will find some examples of this when I spoke with various experienced poultry keepers there.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom